• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bore Brush Storage

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I accidentally grabbed a brand new 50-caliber brush and ran it down a 45-caliber bore. It hit the bottom and didn’t want to come back out.

I came up with the idea of using a plastic coin roll holder to keep them separated. These were for a nickel that could possibly hold up to a 12-gauge brush. I think a penny size would work for 45 & 50 and a dime size for smaller calibers like 32, 36, and 40.

These can be purchased online or at your local Coin and Collectibles shop. I bought used ones for a fraction of the cost.

Of, course if my guns were standardized at 50-caliber, it would make things easier, all around. But what’s the fun in that?

Shoot Straight, my friends!

Walt

Attachments

• 20230504_170715.jpg
    20230504_170715.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 5
  • 20230504_170745.jpg
    20230504_170745.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230504_170758.jpg
    20230504_170758.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
I use a brush once in awhile, not every cleaning, I rotate the brush as I push it down and before reversing direction and have no trouble getting them back out.

Bronze BRUSHES.........1. Use the right size brush. 2. use the brush on a r/r that has a knob on the opposite end , so the brush when fully inserted , can be rotated in the bore to break the "set" of the bristles. 3. Always rotate the r/r to the clockwise direction , so the wire brush doesn't come unscrewed from the r/r tip , and get stuck in the bore. If the brush gets loose down the bore ,you need a cork screw end on the r/r for retrieval.
A brush trick in case stubborn debris is stuck in the bore , is to wrap a wisp of #0000 steel wool into the brush. The steel wool won't damage the bore , and should remove the debris. 4 . Always use the kind of bronze brushes , with the twisted brass wire in the center looped through the threaded end. If you have the kind of brushes with the brush wire "crimped" in an aluminum socket , run some solder down into the crimped end ,to secure the bristles from separating from the threaded end.
To use muzzleloaders , ya have to develop some mechanical skills. You can do it.........oldwood

How I store bore brushes.....

Attachments

• Galvanized-trash-can-31-gal.jpg
    Galvanized-trash-can-31-gal.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 0
I use a piece of green flower shop Styrofoam.
Washem, dryem, sickem in the styro.

But then I ONLY use 30 and 45 cal. So its hard to put the wrong one down the gullet.

Oh yeah, dont use brass brushes on the BP ones.

Latest posts

Back