• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Blunderbuss Competition

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moose_Owner

36 Cal.
Reaction score
The latest issue of Muzzle Blasts had a little article about the Western National Shoot at the end of February. They are going to add a blunderbuss competition with three "disciplines": (1) a stationary paper target at 20 yards, (2) a gong type target to be shot from a moving "stage coach" seat and (3) clay birds. Five shots at each type of target for a total of 15 shots.

This was just the excuse I needed to buy a blunderbuss. I just ordered myself kit from Pecatonica River Long Rifle Supply. They were very helpful and said that they had everything in stock.

I will be very interested to see what kind of shot patterns I get from the blunderbuss and how accurate the round ball loads will be.

that sounds pretty cool!

not sure if they do one here but a few of the Traditional Archery forums I hang out at have on-line competitions based on the honor system,, we could have one here we'd just need to know the rules and have your own place to shoot (distance, how many shots,ect) and then have a digital camera to post our best on here,, its only for bragging rights but very fun.

but

Moose---

You may as well not even show! I am going to win that first ever Blunderbuss Competition! :wink: :grin: :wink:

With my 4 Bore Blunderbuss and 4 to 5 ounces of #8 shot (that's about 2000 pellets)... The resultant wall of death and destruction will murder-ize those targets, that gong and clay birdies... they'll be vaporized to smithereens!!!

Blunderbuss's Rule!!! :grin:

Good luck with this project, I shot trap a couple of times with my thunder gun, When you yell "pull"
and shoulder the gun, due to the big funnel at the end of the barrel, the orange bird is out of sight!
I ended up loading over 2 ounces of shot, yelling pull and pulling the trigger a half second after I hear the trap. I was trying to put up a wall of lead that no bird could get through. It did not work for me. Don't get me wrong it was a lot of fun. I got my best groups out of a hand full of dried pinto beans with my blunderbuss. Please post your results and general thoughts on this match. If they ever get this going at Friendship
I will jump in the fray!

Zoar said:
Moose---

You may as well not even show! I am going to win that first ever Blunderbuss Competition! :wink: :grin: :wink:

The blunderbuss kit showed up from Pecatonica River in today's mail. I guess that I know what I will be doing over Christmas. With some luck, I will have some test patterns to post around the first of the year.

As to winning, my primary goal is to avoid embarrassing myself too much. Look forward to seeing you at the Western Nationals.

Blun1001.jpg

Like that?!

Four Bore Blunderbuss. Shoots a quarter pound round ball OR as much shot as I could ever imagine shooting from a shoulder weapon. ... :grin:

That Four Bore is not a KIT.

I did get the barrel from Stonewall Creek.

Although I don't want any competition for that Blunderbuss contest where I plan to murderize all those targets and clay birdies with 2000 - 25000 pellets! :wink:

Also the Three Stooges were always saying ---
"I oughta murderize you!"

Blunderbuss Rule!

Washington wanted to make the Blunderbuss the first official weapon for the Colonial Army, I read. They also called them Stairwell Sweepers in places like Boston and Philadelphia.

Blunderbuss were pretty common weapons in the country and cities in 1600-1700's worldwide. Holland and Germany had many and yes they were a staple weapon for the sailors and Navies and pirates!

due to the big funnel at the end of the barrel, the orange bird is out of sight!

In your experience is this a function of stock design? I have read the same complaint else where and have been trying to sort out how to build mine not to have this problem. One idea on the drawing board currently is a "rib" or block to correspond with a 'notch' in the bell. or no rib/block. But either way it seems less drop in the butt stock is needed?

I understand that a 4 bore with a 1/4 pound of nails fired from the hip opening a whole in an ambush does not require one see the target but a bunny going full bore through the willows needs to be seen!

I built one back in the 70s, it was so short it threw buck shot behind you!!!!!!

Zoar said:
Moose---

With my 4 Bore Blunderbuss and 4 to 5 ounces of #8 shot (that's about 2000 pellets)... The resultant wall of death and destruction will murder-ize those targets, that gong and clay birdies... they'll be vaporized to smithereens!!!

4-5 ounces!? Makes me wonder which end of that beast poses the greatest danger! :shocked2:

Snow

Blunderbusses were not designed to aim. The Jaeger field load was 12, 50 caliber balls and 22 , 30 caliber balls. You do not even fire this load from the shoulder. In my opinion if you modify a blunderbuss out of it's original design like adding a rib or changing the drop in the stock, you no longer have a blunderbuss. It is a match for blunderbusses. I wonder if the NMLRA has set guidelines for this match. Of course this is just my opinion.

Back