• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is there anyone out there that can make a barrel for a muzzleloader rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’ve often wondered this. A lot of ML’s out there with bad barrels. Also, a lot that might could be converted if there’s someone that can produce a good, quality barrel.

I myself would like to have a .36 caliber with a somewhat longer barrel percussion rifle. Something that could be fitted to some other stock.

Rice barrels for one. I know the number of makers has dwindled but I believe there are still one or two others out there.

They’ll make whatever you want!

As will Bobby Hoyt - his contact info is posted on here all over the place - search.

As will Charlie Burton, here:
42D2FB76-4F8E-4701-B2DD-DE2DF976C222.jpeg

and

4B3D6EC1-79D4-44C9-910A-338DD55EA423.jpeg

I just had Jason at Rice Barrels make me 2 custom barrels in all respects and the process was soooooo easy.

Last time I checked it seemed like Rice will make a custom barrel to exact specifications for considerably more than the cost of their standard offerings. Bobby Hoyt would probably do it as well.

It would be cheaper to alter your stock to accept a standard size if it is a straight barrel, not so with a swamped barrel.

I’ve often wondered this. A lot of ML’s out there with bad barrels. Also, a lot that might could be converted if there’s someone that can produce a good, quality barrel.

I myself would like to have a .36 caliber with a somewhat longer barrel percussion rifle. Something that could be fitted to some other stock.
Is this to be an additional barrel or a conversion of an existing stock and components?

If a conversion, Hoyt could reline it.

For an additional barrel there are some complications. There's the type of breaching to be matched. Could be simple or could be unobtainium.

Some of the references above might have very long waiting times. Actually more concerning to our age demographic. 🤣

Describe the existing gun and throw in some pictures 📸 There may be a simple solution.

I think John Getz in PA is still making barrels.
I had great luck with Don Getz barrels years ago, but Don passed away 8-10 years ago and his son John took over Getz Barrel. I have not personally dealt with him, but his reputation has not been the best. There are better choices.

Is this to be an additional barrel or a conversion of an existing stock and components?

If a conversion, Hoyt could reline it.

For an additional barrel there are some complications. There's the type of breaching to be matched. Could be simple or could be unobtainium.

Some of the references above might have very long waiting times. Actually more concerning to our age demographic. 🤣

Describe the existing gun and throw in some pictures 📸 There may be a simple solution.
Thanks, Cruiser. I am aware of some of what you mentioned above.

I do not have a specific stock but it might be something along to the lines of finding a TC Seneca, Cherokee, or something like that. Of course it would have to have the lock.

Either way, considering I have not been able to find what I want or have in mind, I'm searching for different options of piecing together my own. Definitely a percussion, either full stock or half stock. About a 38 inch barrel in most likely .36 caliber. I'm thinking a 1:60" twist. Must be able to mount a peep sight on it. If I go to any stock that's for a big bore it would weigh a ton.

Last edited:
A 36" 36 caliber 13/16" barrel is going to weigh in at 4.5#!! If you want a 38" you would need to order it. A 3/4" would be lighter. Rice will build a 3/4" to order on length for only $31 more than a stock 36" 13/16" Coleraine.

I think by the time you add wood, Butt plate, TG, breech plug, lock, trigger and maybe underrib and a 38" barrel it could be getting into some weight but only you know what you want in the weight department.

They’ll make whatever you want!

As will Bobby Hoyt - his contact info is posted on here all over the place - search.

As will Charlie Burton, here:
View attachment 319738

and

View attachment 319739

I just had Jason at Rice Barrels make me 2 custom barrels in all respects and the process was soooooo easy.
Yes, Bobby Hoyts info is here. I’ve called and left messages, no return call. Now no answering machine. Frustrating at the least!

A 36" 36 caliber 13/16" barrel is going to weigh in at 4.5#!! If you want a 38" you would need to order it. A 3/4" would be lighter. Rice will build a 3/4" to order on length for only $31 more than a stock 36" 13/16" Coleraine.

I think by the time you add wood, Butt plate, TG, breech plug, lock, trigger and maybe underrib and a 38" barrel it could be getting into some weight but only you know what you want in the weight department.
Thanks, Cruiser. Now I need to settle, and find, the platform for it.

Wholesale Hunter in Wetumpka, AL will put you in a .36 Pedersoli Frontier with a 39 inch barrel. Flintlock is $954 and percussion is $902 brand spankin' new if the custom route turns out to be too time consuming or expensive. Just a possible option.

Back