• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

blown patches

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanRum

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Shooting 50cal lyman deerstalker .490 balls .015 patches 60 grn. 3f powder. Seems to be blowing patches up. Anything different I can try?

What kind of patches (i.e. prelubed off the shelf?) and what type of powder?

If after the barrel is fired a good bit and patches are still burned, use an OP wad and/or a thicker/stronger patch material.

"Blowing patches" can mean they are cut, shredded or burned or a combination of these things.

Knowing which problem can help us figure out what's happening.

Were the Ox Yoke patches the "pre lubricated" kind or were they unlubricated material?

I ask because some of the pre lubricated patches that have set on the stores shelf for years can become very weak and will be shredded even if they are fired with a moderate powder load in a broken in barrel.

I would say there all of the above and they are the dry patches which I put the lube on

The .015 thick patches shouldn't be doing that with a .490 diameter ball and a 60 grain powder load.

As the others have mentioned, a new barrel will have very sharp rifling grooves. These can cut the patch during loading or when the gun fires.

Another thing that can cut the patch is the sharp edges of the rifling at the muzzle.
Using a small piece of the black "wet/dry" sandpaper and using your thumb to rotate it on the muzzle crown to round off those sharp edges can really help to stop patch cutting while your loading.

You didn't mention what kind of lube you were using or how much you were applying but IMO, whatever your using should thoroughly dampen or cover the cloth patch.

When building a new rifle, I always get a piece of steel wool and wrap it around my cleaning jag.

I then run it up and down the bore about 10 times, remove the steel wool and jag, re-position it on the jag and then repeat the process. It may take up to 50 strokes to do the job.

The steel wool is about the same hardness as the barrel steel so it won't really wear out the bore but it will round off the razor sharp edges of the rifling grooves.
This will not hurt the barrel or its accuracy but it will greatly speed up the "break in" process.

The alternate method is to shoot over 100 patched roundballs thru the bore.

You said you were using 3Fg powder but if it is the Seven7seven powder it has a reputation for burning patches, even in moderate powder loads.

The barrel has about a 100 shots thru it so maybe I'll try running some steelwool thru it to smooth it out. Thanks for the info.

Latest posts

Back