• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Blaze Orange Requirements

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikee51848

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Was wondering what you do, if you hunt in traditional garb, about the orange requirements that some states have. PA requires 250 sq inches on head and chest.

I know it isn't traditional, but I wish it were required in Oregon. We have guys in brand new head-to-toe Cabela's camo pile into the lodgepole thickets with their 7 Mags, just asking to get it.
I usually wear a blaze vest.

i haven't looked but in oct muzzleloader season ya have to wear it....but in dec flintlock season ya might not have to still....like i says i haven't looked at the new book yet cause i have gottin my new lic yet...............bob

It's required here in Colorado for any big game gun season, including muzzleloaders. Probably just as well, just had some idiot kill a fellow turkey hunter.
This never ceases to amaze me, afterall one of the main rules in hunting any game is to identify your target.

Like Bill said, not required here in Oregon, but if on public land i normally wear a camo/blaze orange ball cap.

Wild: Texas says 144" front and back plus blaze orange hat. But you Turkey hunters and archery don't have to but I would advise it if on public lands.
Fox :thumbsup:

I read a great story in one of my dad's old shooting books - our hero is wearing a white shirt, sits on a stump on the side of a canyon, dang near gets shot. Looks around, here's some idiot on the other side of the canyon, apparently took his white shirt for the rear end of a deer.

His response?

He shot back! Got the guy's attention, and I'll bet he took a closer look next time before he pulled the trigger :haha:

we have the orange requirement here in michigan too. we will usually have a blaze orange "dew rag" on and a couple of strips of orange hanging off our clothes somewhere.
pieman

Godd idea pieman, maybe some strips of orange pinned to my rifleman's coat?
Bob, I'm sure the Oct hunt will require orange. Remember there are people (Srs & Jrs)out there with rifles on the weekend.
:shocking: :eek:

I have a handknit orange wool voyageur's cap that I bought from Smoke & Fire Company and I've been wearing one or two of those orange tree bands slung over my shoulder(s).

PA's late (after Christmas) TRADITIONAL muzzleloading season doesn't require orange (although alot of hunters still wear it... I at least wear the cap if/when on public land - my hunting frock is a little too close in color to the critter that's bein' hunted!} I'm fortunate enough to have access to some private land too where I can feel confident enough to go out without any orange.

At Fort Fred. this Spring, I met a fella who was selling some very nice reversible waistcoats and one side was blaze orange wool! Sorry... can't remember his name or company, but if I run into him again, I just might pick one up.

I would like nothing better than to hunt a muzzleloader in a full set of buckskins...but IMO, the reality is if we hunt in proximity to anyone else in the immediate area, it's just too risky.

I HAVE to wear an orange hat BUT I also wear a large orange upland hunting vest that I use for carrying gear in with me...wish I didn't have to but I won't go in the woods without them (doesn't bother deer at all)...and even then I don't feel as safe as I finally do when I get to my tree and get 10-15 feet up off the ground in my stand

This is what I use, I heard my neighbor over on the next ridge yell over to his daughter "there's a hunter over yonder" and she yelled back "I sea it" Never did sea em till they were drivin out, then we talked and they said it was easy to sea, Lot of leaves on the tree's then,, They showed me there deer and they seen me draggin mine,,

blind.jpg

Going in I wear a cheap blaze vest over my hunting shirt, and blaze bandana around my hat. In really cold weather I too wear a blaze voyager cap. I;ve seen blaze waist coats for sale in OTT, but the reversable sounds pretty cool.

Here in Massachusetts, the requirement is 500 square inches visible from all sides. So a hat and vest will cover the law.

It used to be during the muzzleloader that you could wear 200 sq. in. which a good hat would cover, but that was recently changed.

More and more people are hunting with the muzzleloader in Massachusetts. Not too long ago, one of our most liberal state senators, Cheryl Jacques, succeeded in pushing a law that added domestic disturbance as a cause to revoke a FID card( here in the PRM 'People's Republic of Massachusetts' you need an ID card for long arms) Many people lost their FID's overnight when that was past.But muzzleloaders are exempt.Thus many sportsmen took up the front loader so they could hunt.

Nebraska requires 400 sq in. on the head, chest and back. I wash my stuff in a UV killer and it does work. Last year I had a doe lay down about 7 - 10 yards from me, and she looked right at me several times. Better save than sorry...

Scott/Ne

A solid blaze orange cap, and 400 square inches of an outer upper garment is the requirement for hunting deer with any firearm in Illinois. Where the muzzleloading only and archery seasons overlap, bowhunters are required to wear blaze orange also. It's a good law and I'm not going to try to side-step it.

Here in Wisconsin the deer season requires blaze orange over a percentage of the body and you must wear a blaze orange hat.

I used to hear the arguement that deer can see that blaze orange color but I am not too sure about that. I have been sitting on ground blinds in blaze orange and had deer walk right past me.

Hunting is a set of buckskins here would be a good way to get your self shot. I understand that you should be fully aware of your target before you shoot, but the world is not perfect here, and all too often people shoot and then check. That's why I hunt my private property now days only.

I used to hear the arguement that deer can see that blaze orange color but I am not too sure about that. I have been sitting on ground blinds in blaze orange and had deer walk right past me.

Completely true...doesn't bother them a bit...for the December mornings when it's in the teens, I wear a heavy thinsulate hunter orange coat that glows like a neon light...last December ground sitting for squirrels with my .45 flinter, I shot a Doe, then a 5 pointer, walking a trail a mere 40-50 feet in front of me...and I wasn't in a blind...just sitting on the ground leaning against a large tree...never knew I was there...movement and scent are everything.

Latest posts

Back