• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hunter Orange period clothing

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blaze orange wool from Johnson Wollen Mills Wool fabric by the yard style #31 - Northwest Trading Northwest Traders will sew it for you (contact them first). Total cost was $322.79 that is with tax and the shipping. Had the mill ship fabric direct to Northwest traders. Mine just came in today.
Is it back in stock at Johnson's?

It seems to go out of stock for long periods of time then come back in stock for a little while,,,, usually quiet a bit more expensive than the last time it was in stock.

It was in stock as of the end of April when I ordered mine. Be advised you will need 4 square yards.
100_2877.JPG

Correction, 4 linear yards at whatever width they sell. Lots of fabric left over.
Thanks. I won't be making a coat like that,,,, very happy with my matchcoat. But, I have a few other projects in mind.

You say lots of scrap leftover.... Not sure if you have a long narrow one the right size, but I used a long narrow scrap rectangle from the match coat recently and made a gun cover. It's only closed at the muzzle end and back a few inches from there, folds over the top of the gun and reaches back just past the lock. I can carry the gun and keep the weather off of it and when I let go of the lock end of the cover it falls away for a shot opportunity.

Thanks all for the suggestions. I am also in KY and well it can get crazy opening day of modern gun. I usually perfer to be tagged out during early ML season to avoid it.

Been hunting in this state since the 1960s.
I have never owned or worn orange.
I got shot at when I was 14 and wearing orange.
Cant shoot what you cant see.

What the heck happened to this world. The first time my family took me out hunting it was 2 pairs of dungarees, a flannel shirt, 2 pairs of socks, my play shoes, buckle galoshes, and a blue and black courderoy hat, and whhat ever play coat I had at the time. I graduated to a red and black Woolrich hunting coat. before that it was whatever winter coat that I had. In all the time before the blaze orange laws I was never shot at nor did I shoot at anyone. It seems like we keep making laws to protect dim witted!
What happened is too many folks got shot by old fudds that where too turned up about shooting a deer to actually pay attention to what they were shooting at. One of my mother's friends was killed this way while taking a leak on a hunt because some idiot got a little too excited to follow the basic rules of gun safety. And it happened on his mom's birthday to make matters even worse. And this was in East Texas on private land where you shouldn't ever have to worry about stuff like that. People ignoring basic gun safety has a long and unfortunate history. Enough so that some states have decided that we aren't responsible enough to follow a few basic safety rules without the state holding our hands.
Instead of complaining about things, maybe we should take a look around and take on a bit more personal responsibility to try and ensure that this kind of stuff doesn't have to happen.

Here in France at least a dozen people a year get shot in the 'Chasse'. Orange clothing abounds! Often the casualties involved are people not involved such as cyclists and people driving past. The curious practice of holding the hunt next to roads cannot help... Self inflicted injuries often occur with people used to centrefire stuff, but new to BP shooting who somehow think that BP guns are underpowered toys.

Last edited:
Back