• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Blackpowder Hog Hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

x-caliber

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I had a little luck over the weekend! I killed a nice boar just before dark last Sunday evenining with my Lyman Great Plains Rifle. My load is a .495 Hornady round ball and a .018 pillow ticking patch over 90 grains of GOEX FFG.
100_0500.jpg

Since I was by myself, about four miles in, it was almost dark, and overnight temps were supposed to be around thirty degrees I decided to gut the hog, hang it in a nearby tree, and come back with reinforcements the following day! The next day, my friend Adam and I hunted until lunchtime (neither one of us saw anything) and we then went to recover my hog.

On the way out, while we still carrying my hog in our packs, Adam spotted a gang of hogs next to the trail about twenty minutes from the truck! He picked out the handiest one; a good eating sized hog.

Now we had another hog down! I decided to go to the truck to unload the meat from my hog and then come back and help Adam get his hog out. Along the way, I ran into this 'ol gal about ten minutes from the truck:
100_0502.jpg

After I unloaded the meat, I went back to help Adam recover his hog and I discovered that while he was skinning his hog, another hog (a nice boar according to Adam) had come running through and he had taken a shot at it with his skinning gloves on. Thank God he missed! :grin:

We finished skinning and quartering his hog, transported it to the truck, and then went back up the trail to recover my second one.

What a trip!

Man-when's the pig pickin? I'll bring the beer! Hey! what's that funny looking camouflage thingy yer buddy has there?

Good hunt.Looks like you could of needed a iron mule or Mule four miles in. Nice to be young. :thumbsup: Dilly

Congratulations on the great hunt. Your friend does need a better rifle, like yours. Some day I would like to try a hog hunt. Leon

Mummm Mummm some one is gona be eatin good. Nice big .50 tround ball certasinly does the trick.

Thanks for removing those hogs from the country. They do a tremendous amount of damage to the forests, and as you experienced, in some places, there are just way too many of them. Best wishes on the good eats. If you are a member of a local sportsman's club, the two of you could make a very interesting wild game dinner for members on short notice using a pot-luck format. :thumbsup:

Ssssuuuuuuueeeeeeeeee! Sweet! :bow:

Excellent hunt guys, nice looking hogs, lotta meat, black powder shot. Hard to beat that with a stick.

Good thing your buddy's gun is cammoed up where it can hide it's true identity... :shake:

Just kidding! :grin:

Congrats, again.

Steve

Closer ya get to the truck the more hogs. :shocked2:

Maybe should have a chair in the truck bed? :confused:

Good going and good eating!

Congrats on making smoke and bringing home the bacon.....I'm very envious................ :bow:

Wow, what a day! Thanks for the pictures and nice shootin'. :thumbsup:

Nice bacon I just got back last week from my annual Hog hunt with my dad had a Blast Literally will post pics up when I getem!

Back