• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I Have This Other Old Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your pointed tang is like my William Douglas rifle (Cocke Co. TN). Although you have 2 screw holes.
Unfortunately, your trigger bow shape isn’t like my WD - so doubtful it’s by him.
Nothing on the top of the barrel?
View attachment 237634View attachment 237635
That's another terrific old southern rifle you have there, @52Bore . Thanks for bringing it out!

We have four old Tennessee rifles in the family collection (not in my personal possession, though), and if my memory is correct, two of them have pointed tangs like that. One of the others has the classic "lollipop" tang that traverses the entire length of the wrist, and I think the fourth one has a rounded end on the tang. The next time I get over there, I want to pull those out and look them over again.

Notchy Bob

Notchy Bob.
Thanks
I hesitated posting photos as to not to distract from the OP - but figured a photo was worth 1000 words to Badginger.
Let’s keep with trying to help him than getting off course.

Please continue and add all the pictures you like. I'm here to learn!

Here are some more pictures that might help identify this old piece. I continue to look for any markings and have found none. I don't want to take the barrel out to look any further.

IMG_7339.JPG

IMG_7341.JPG

IMG_7343.JPG

IMG_7342.JPG

IMG_7338.JPG

IMG_7337.JPG

Last edited:
How long is the barrel?
I’ve seen that promannt ‘line’ along the center of the right side on another E. TN rifle - Bible, I believe.

The TN Longrifle show in Knoxville each spring would be a great place to get 1st hand accounts..

I have a lot of information on the family, but I’ll have to read through a lot of documents papers to get most of it. However, I do remember they came from Scotland to the Carolinas then on to Kentucky.

The barrel measures 38 3/8" in length.

As you can see I have a lot of studying to do, this is the first page of a three ring binder 🤓

IMG_7345.JPG

Last edited:
That’s shorter than usual.
You’d have to remove the barrel from the stock to see if there are oddly placed or additional dovetails on the under that might indicate it was shortened. Regardless, it is what it is.. It would, most likely be shortened from the breech end.
Sights look correct.

This looks like a washer at the breech?
IMG_1586.jpeg

Thanks, I also thought that was an odd length and as I said earlier, I remember grandad or someone saying that the barrel was rebored and that could have involved cutting off a worn-out breach area of the barrel. I'll look at taking it apart, but I'm concerned as it seems pretty fragile, and I don't want put new parts on it if I break something.

Thanks, I also thought that was an odd length and as I said earlier, I remember grandad or someone saying that the barrel was rebored and that could have involved cutting off a worn-out breach area of the barrel. I'll look at taking it apart, but I'm concerned as it seems pretty fragile, and I don't want put new parts on it if I break something.
I would not attempt removing the barrel exactly for the reasons you stated, it is a great gun with a documented history accept it for what it is and enjoy the gun, not to hi-jack a thread but there is a set of chairs that my great-grandfather made, I know who has them (a distant cousin) I have ask her about them and told her I would like to have them. She told me they were promised to her daughter) You were blessed with this rifle hopefully you have a son who can receive it and add to its history down the road.

Please continue and add all the pictures you like. I'm here to learn!

Here are some more pictures that might help identify this old piece. I continue to look for any markings and have found none. I don't want to take the barrel out to look any further.

View attachment 237675
View attachment 237676

View attachment 237677
View attachment 237678

View attachment 237681

View attachment 237679
Great looking rifle @Badfinger .I always love the back stories that come with family heirlooms. Like others have said, if could talk. I agree @Tanselman is a great source of information, he informed me about my rifle made around 1840s. Enjoy, Bruce

Back