• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black Robe

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya, I thought it was alright.
Tuff one to find local, all they had was a really worn VHS so I missed some, but I went looking for it because I'd heard they took pains to make the clothing an accuterments close to authentic

A little dark and depressing but a good movie. I think they took pains to be as HC as possible. A glimpse of what life before central heating was like.

Good insight into "first contact."

Anyone aware of anything else from
that point of view?

I loved the movie, even though it was pretty depressing in parts. Showed quite a bit of the brutality of the time, which I thought added to the realism. The scenery was pretty awesome too. I'd like to buy it if I can find it.

Probably one of the most accurate historical films extant. If you read the Jesuit relations in New France, you'll find little but sacrifice and death. That's how it really was, and yes, to the modern psyche it's very dark.

I think that's why it's one of my favorites. You had to be a different kind of person to live back then, and shrug off some of the stuff that horrifies us nowadays.

it'd be hard to shrug off having a finger sawed off with a clam shell! :haha: it was a great movie, very interesting too see the hardships they went through.

It is one of my favorites. I have a DVD of that movie in my little collection. I too was captivated by the scenery of the movie.

It is a dark and foreboding movie. Basically it was historically accurate. The time and place was tough. The scene where Tantoo Cardinale gets an arrow through the throat. The scene where the finger is cut off with a sharpened shell. The march through the snow.The scene of the dead infant either abandoned or still born adds to the basic understanding of the times.

Don't forget the poor Jesuit who had to relieve himself off the edge of the canoe and was laughed at by the whole tribe. I had to laugh at that one though.

I saw this movie some years ago but don't really remember it. So because of this I had to buy it off of amazon for $3.00. Now I gotta wait to watch it.

One thing that I remember well: The Natives rejecting the Jesuit's religion because "you say there isn't any tobacco in heaven, no sex. That you just sit and gaze upon God. That is not heaven to us."

It was a good movie and even better when I watched it the second time.

I just checked, it's available for instant watching on netflix...well I gotta be up anyways,,,Im gonna watch it...from all y'alls' reviews it's gonna be a good one...Thanks y'all

God Bless

Lee

I just checked it out last night. Great movie! I've always been partial to movies that put an emphasis on costume and details and such, and I was really impressed with both in this film.

The images of the Iriquois longhouse interiors and costumes were fascinating. Great Recommendation!

RJLJML said:
it'd be hard to shrug off having a finger sawed off with a clam shell! :haha: it was a great movie, very interesting too see the hardships they went through.

The kid getting his throat slashed bothered me more.

Back