• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black powder shooting`s getting ex-Pen-SIVE!!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
$18 for a tin or #11 percussion caps.
Really??? o_O o_O o_O o_Oo_O Eighteen dollars for a tin of percussion caps? Unreal. I can remember the days of cost per shot was almost to small to calculate. Now, I'm going to take real good care of all my flints, old and new. Will probably order some to have before they go to $10.00 each, or more. Our ml avocation and modern gun recreational shooting is forcing the average guy out of the game. A 2nd Amendment infringement of another kind. Bad, bad.

Really??? o_O o_O o_O o_Oo_O Eighteen dollars for a tin of percussion caps? Unreal. I can remember the days of cost per shot was almost to small to calculate. Now, I'm going to take real good care of all my flints, old and new. Will probably order some to have before they go to $10.00 each, or more. Our ml avocation and modern gun recreational shooting is forcing the average guy out of the game. A 2nd Amendment infringement of another kind. Bad, bad.
Kinda like small unmentionable primers for $300 a thou on the market. If you can find em. Private individuals are gouging and folks are desperate......not me.

Remember, "If you build it, they will come"? Now it is "If you sell it, they will come".

So 5 months ago you find swiss for your customers at $40, you mark it up to $50 to take care of lights, water, fed storage requirements. Now the price drops because swiss has brought in a bunch so say it is $32 from a distributor and retail markup might take it to $42. If it is your store you go broke taking the loss. Retail 101, sell for more than you paid for it or you go broke. You all keep on quoting distributor prices, bulk buys. Buy more lower price. Lets see, one pound at $32, hazmat $30, shipping $15. Yep $75 for a pound. Go buy one pound your way from a distributor. Retail 101, buy in bulk. That is how Costco stays in business. Little guys cannot do that plus fed restriction on how much they can have in inventory does not allow them to buy in bulk. Fundementals of making money folks. But do it your way, fine, not everyone wants to do it that way.

So $50 a pound of Swiss.

That seems reasonable to you?

Im never shopping at your store. Highly doubtful anyone else will…Even after you explain all that to them at the Cash register.

Reminds me of when I walked into a little Pizza place on the Square of a little town. I like to help the smaller companies….
When I asked for a slice and went to pay, the guy says “$7.90”. I asked him to repeat price, And he did saying “It’s a big slice”
My reply was unless it’s a half a pie, I’m not interested. It the principal of the matter.

Here is my last powder purchase.

I understand what your explaining… Yet Still buddy… $50 per pound. No thanks… Feel free to pay more yet I suggest shopping around.

6BE2F46D-A36E-4FD5-BE08-F5BE91D01B46.jpeg

Last edited:
Kinda like small unmentionable primers for $300 a thou on the market. If you can find em. Private individuals are gouging and folks are desperate......not me.
There is no powder for unmentionable shotguns, and what there is, is only 1 pound containers which are way to expensive. Running low on primers and if the cost doesnt come down, I'll be standing on the trapline myself shooting my percussion shotgun. I refuse to pay and be gouged.

Ya man. Got me a good stockpile of them also! Work well for various needs.
Thinking I’ll enjoy having my Flintlocks to use while saving my Caps.
Just made some more caps out of .22 shorts....ah! Its just me...pay no mind.

Last edited:
If no one bought the $50 per pound powder the merchant would sell no powder at $50 per pound. The price would go down.

Today i inventoried my stash and found 3 1/2 pounds of Grafs black powder among the Pyrodex, Pinnacle, JSG, Black MZ and Triple Seven. Don't remember buying the stuff, it may have come from a garage sale. Will shoot some black powder on Saturday.

So $50 a pound of Swiss.

That seems reasonable to you?

Im never shopping at your store. Highly doubtful anyone else will…Even after you explain all that to them at the Cash register.

Reminds me of when I walked into a little Pizza place on the Square of a little town. I like to help the smaller companies….
When I asked for a slice and went to pay, the guy says “$7.90”. I asked him to repeat price, And he did saying “It’s a big slice”
My reply was unless it’s a half a pie, I’m not interested. It the principal of the matter.

Here is my last powder purchase.

I understand what your explaining… Yet Still buddy… $50 per pound. No thanks… Feel free to pay more yet I suggest shopping around.

View attachment 125343

How much for shipping and hazmat?

It was together ,Hazmat and Shipping- $70

Keep in mind… I also purchased other items to make the entire order worth it.

Yet even if I didn’t, and only bought 10 lbs of Swiss at $23 each… at $7 to each pound additional for the Haz/ship Fee… That’s $30 per pound and frankly… Well , Worth it.
How much for shipping and hazmat?

Last edited:
More like deep state gun control is driving up the operational costs for capitalists, which get passed on to the consumer.
All you have is vote No more Democrats They are committed Treason by try to take the 1st and 2 Bills of our constitution away

You need to follow the forum rules. Your post should be deleted.
I am not up on the rules but in this case the message was needed as this type of message is banned on most forums because it doesn't fit some ones agenda? I for one of many agree with the statement!

Everything shooting related is higher than it was. Any of you guys look up the cost of jacketed bullets, primers, smokeless powder? Buying gasoline or groceries is an eye-opener, how about used a car? Price gouging exists along side inflation to cause higher prices. Supply and demand, if you have the supply you can demand the price you want, it's that simple. Those gouging will lose sales when other options become available. If you don't like the price don't buy it, it may come down in the future, than again it may not. I refused to pay $1 a round for some ammo, it's come down since. It may go back up who knows? Most of the old Boy Scouts on here I imagine are still pretty well fixed because we were prepared and stocked up when it became apparent that things may get scarce. If you had the money and didn't stock up that's on you, the shooters who didn't have the means to stock up are the ones I have empathy for. JMHO

If you use 1 up, buy 2. If use 2 up, buy 4. That way you never run out and it is a hedge against inflation.

Gun show last week, seen a can of Goex FF. I inquired as to the price 90.00!! I just laughed, as he told me that was his last one, and he sold 4 cans earlier.

I am not up on the rules but in this case the message was needed as this type of message is banned on most forums because it doesn't fit some ones agenda? I for one of many agree with the statement!
If you are not up on the forum rules, then read them. No political comments, whether you agree with them or disagree with them!

Also don't be so quick to blame everything on "someone's agenda". Some forums don't allow politics because they always devolve into a real mess and forum administrators, mods etc. get sick of dealing with it.

This thread is about Our “Hobby/sport”- And it’s cost.

Let’s leave any political comments elsewhere.

Anyway! Back to The topic, Of Cost.
Honestly,how can anyone pay $50 a pound- just shop around a little. It can be found cheaper, even with hazmat. I know 3 places that have it rite now, not one of them is $50per lbs

I am starting back in muzzleloaders after many years of shooting my other firearms. A friend of mine got me started on vintage springer air rifles from a bench, then vintage rimfire benchrest and off hand and now finally 25 yard offhand ML.

I'm in the process of building a .40 caliber percussion Virginia rifle, the Rice barrel is here, and the breech plug is fitted, just waiting on the stock and hardware to arrive. It should've been here last week. While waiting I've been gathering up the stuff I'll need to shoot. I bought 10# of FFF Shutzen from Grafs for $256.40 delivered, it should be here this week. Percussion caps are what I can't find, it's to the point I'm considering ordering a large Siler flintlock. I'll fit the rifle with the large Siler percussion lock but remove the drum and install a liner and use the flintlock if needed.

As other have mentioned it's not just shooting supplies that are hard to get. Sadly, it's the times we live in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back