• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black powder shooting`s getting ex-Pen-SIVE!!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, since I started this mess, I'll do some clarification.

First, I don't know how I made this post on the Traditional Hunting forum, as I intended to make it on the General Muzzleloading forum. I guess my old eyes saw the word "Traditional" and equated it with Traditional Muzzleloading instead of Tradtional Hunting.

Second, the only reason I drove over to Deercreek to buy powder was I have an immediate need for the Swiss and the 2fg Schuetzen, as a group of us are comparing powders and loads over a chronograph this weekend. There is no time to wait for shipping, even if I happen to find it in stock online (at that, I wanted to test 2fg Swiss in my rifle, but 1.5 will have to do as 2fg Swiss is rare.

Last edited by a moderator:
In regards to bolts....I have made bolts from errant and lost arrows from hunting training ranges. Basically a minimum grain weight is required depending on make of product. It gives you the shafts to re-fletch and rework depending on if you have spare inserts and nocks to finish it out. Apologies to the forum for the topic but times are tough for some...

I just came home from Deercreek Gun Store in Marietta, GA, where I paid $50 for a pound of 1.5 f Swiss; $40 for a pound of 2f Schuetzen; and $18 for a tin or #11 percussion caps.

Oh well; it's only money!
Cheaper to buy online. Even having to pay Hazmat. have to buy more than a lb but buying 5,or 10 lbs at a time isn't all that bad.

Okay, since I started this mess, I'll do some clarification.

First, I don't know how I made this post on the Traditional Hunting forum, as I intended to make it on the General Muzzleloading forum. I guess my old eyes saw the word "Traditional" and equated it with Traditional Muzzleloading instead of Tradtional Hunting.

Second, the only reason I drove over to Deercreek to buy powder was I have an immediate need for the Swiss and the 2fg Schuetzen, as a group of us are comparing powders and loads over a chronograph this weekend. There is no time to wait for shipping, even if I happen to find it in stock online (at that, I wanted to test 2fg Swiss in my rifle, but 1.5 will have to do as 2fg Swiss is rarer than a coherent word from our White House).

One thing about a road trip, you have it in hand and do not have to worry about the shipper sending it wandering about the country.

I just came home from Deercreek Gun Store in Marietta, GA, where I paid $50 for a pound of 1.5 f Swiss; $40 for a pound of 2f Schuetzen; and $18 for a tin or #11 percussion caps.
I
Personally I would call that gouging the public. My BP club just picked up a mixed box of Schutzen and Swiss. We paid $21.50 for Schutzen delivered. That was through Travelers In Tx.
Don’t know where you’re at ,but most BP clubs in Ca. purchase BP by the cases for their members. Suggest you join your local BP club. I’m sure there must be one locally.
Doc,

I watched one shop jack their caps to $13 a tin and they are still there since last yr. Limit to 2 per customer still did not get anyone excited. 30 mile down the road caps could be had for $6.

They are a local shop, only shop in georgia that carries real black. 4 generations and been open over 40 years. Specialize in bp related gear. Need a raw horn to make a powder horn out of? Need a powder measure? Need a possibles bag? How about a traditional firearm. How about roundball? lead? Cap and ball, cappers, knife blanks? Support the only local shop like this in georgia. Thank you GAHUNTER60 for supporting them. They are good folks, feeding 3 households and trying to make a living to survive.
perhaps a visit from Spartyville is in order

Oh well; it's only money!
more proof my grandpappy was a soothsayer. He always told me not to burn thru my money

This is interesting, $50 a pound for Swiss. Its not good to hear that your all suffering such cost increases but over here in the UK we've been paying around £82 to £88 a kilo for Swiss #2 and #3 for a good time now. £82 is around $109 so approximately $50 a pound. Guess we are all in the same boat and it's not good any way you look at it is it.

I sometimes shoot sporting clays with a fellow using unmentionable shotguns costing more than a good used car. Drives a 100-mile round trip to save $2.00 a box for AA shotgun shells, sometimes less. Gas for the trip costs more than the payment on my first new pickup truck.

Went to Bass Pro in St. Charles, Mo last week, discovered 25 lb sack of shot is now $49.99. Sticker shock for me - again. I mold my own balls and conicals. Shot's a different thing. Consistent patterns require hard, same-size, perfectly round product. Thankfully, it's another component that don't go bad and I've a good supply - enough for a coupla years.

Everyone's needs are different, but by golly, when scalpers overcharge they hurt us all b/c high prices keep some from shooting and we need more shooters to keep the sport alive.

One thing about a road trip, you have it in hand and do not have to worry about the shipper sending it wandering about the country.
You mean like the box of prelubed catheters I was frowning at when I had to track down the rightful owner of them in the neighboring town ...who happened to have my 12 ga wads and over powder cards. UPS drivers! LOL

I sometimes shoot sporting clays with a fellow using unmentionable shotguns costing more than a good used car. Drives a 100-mile round trip to save $2.00 a box for AA shotgun shells, sometimes less. Gas for the trip costs more than the payment on my first new pickup truck.

Went to Bass Pro in St. Charles, Mo last week, discovered 25 lb sack of shot is now $49.99. Sticker shock for me - again. I mold my own balls and conicals. Shot's a different thing. Consistent patterns require hard, same-size, perfectly round product. Thankfully, it's another component that don't go bad and I've a good supply - enough for a coupla years.

Everyone's needs are different, but by golly, when scalpers overcharge they hurt us all b/c high prices keep some from shooting and we need more shooters to keep the sport alive.
hard to get young guys in shooting sports while the old guys buy everything related to shooting

Went to a big gunshot in Louisville,KY this morning. They usually have some muzzle loaders there. Only saw 2 cans of BP, both GOEX 2F. They were priced at $79 each..........:oops::doh:

Don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back