• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black powder percussion gun questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where there is a will, there is a red-neck engineered way to move something!!

The bullet puller kept pulling out of the obstruction, so I ended up using the long self-tapping screw to chew chunks of the obstructuion out until there was a hole through it. Then I used a long piece of all-thread rod, and screwed it a dozen turns through the obstruction, then clipped a vice grip to the rod, and lightly tapped it until the obstruction came all the way along the barrel, and out.

Yea!!

The reason I keep using the word "obstruction, is that I'm not sure what it is. See the pics.
It looks like some kind of lead plug rather than a bullet. Any info on identifying this would be appreciated. I ran several oiled patches down the barrel, they came out kind of muddy brown looking from some friction down in the chamber. Pretty clean now, still want to use a shotgun brush to get it cleaner. Removed the nipple, and shined a flashlight into the hole, can see light down the barrel, but not clear enough to see how clean the barrel is.

So, is this gun ready to be test fired? Will need some bullet / load info...

Thanks for all the replies...keep them coming!

Attachments

• IMG_3810.JPG
    IMG_3810.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_3812.JPG
    IMG_3812.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_3814.JPG
    IMG_3814.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 147
What in the cat hair. Looks like a hollow base. Looks darn odd on side. May have just been pounded flat from trying to pound it down.
Being a smoothie I would polish it with steelwool and oil once I got it as clean as possible. Would take out the breach plug if at all possible for thorough inspection.

Last edited:
IMG_0639.JPG
IMG_0640.JPG
IMG_0641.JPG
Looks just like the hollow base was cutter bullets I load in 38 special for target pistol shooting. Some load it hollow and up as a supper hollow point. Normally very soft lead rounds.

It looks like some kind of modern Minie bullet design.
The Lee Modern Minie also has a mostly flat top and hollow base except it's made in .50 caliber.
I wonder if this one was home swagged and then knurled.
If it were designed to be a plug why would they knurl it?

It looks like a Hornady great plains bullet with the tip pulled off...

Features:
hornady-great-plains-bullets-hollow-point.jpg

• Pre-lubed with all natural lube.
  • Designed specifically for hunting.
  • Bullets have three bearing surfaces, each a different diameter. Base is smallest for ease of loading. Middle is larger and engages the rifling. Top is the largest diameter to fit the grooves of the rifling.
  • Base has a thin skirt that expands upon firing to seal the bore.

I've not dry balled, but have got a ramrod stuck. They shoot out quite nicely with a little powder through the nipple hole.

I've wondered if a broadhead could be launched fitted to a rod?

I've not dry balled, but have got a ramrod stuck. They shoot out quite nicely with a little powder through the nipple hole.

I've wondered if a broadhead could be launched fitted to a rod?
I don’t know why it couldn’t. There’s a barrel suited for this which mounts on a 10-22. Also a similar rig for precharged pneumatic rifles.

Here's a percussion harpoon rifle circa 1850;--->>> https://centurionauctions.hibid.com...1&hide=0&qs=0&view=0&aView=0&q=whale&selCat=0

Estimate 5,000.00 - 8,000.00 USD
Lead PERCUSSION WHALE HARPOON GUN GRUDCHOS & EGGERS

Circa 1850 percussion whaling rifle by Grudchos & Eggers New Bedford, Mass. Approximately 1 inch bore. 40" total length. Accompanied by a two flued harpoon marked J.T. for James and Thomas Durfee of New Bedford, Mass., a toggle harpoon, and a lance as well as an iron and wood display stand. Barrel Length: 23" Condition: Very good. Medium patina. One screw missing from rear of lock plate. Crack in stock behind the tang.

55143645.jpg

That is what the skirmish guys call a stake buster minnie. It's used for one of their events where they shoot at wood stakes until they are shot in half. Several mold makers had them at one time and they still use them today. I would say that the one that you pulled was not sized properly for the bore and got caught in some fouling and you know the rest of the story. I'm glad that you were able to get it out.

Back