• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

barrel questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've had this barrel sitting around for 3 or 4 years that I got with some other things. Was playing around with it figuring out what I might do with it. It is a 39" hexagon smoothbore barrel. Only has a front bead sight and that's all it ever had, no dovetails. No identifying marks on the barrel at all, not even a number. It's 15/16 across the flats. First I am wondering if anyone knows what gun it might be from. I thought old Ardesa but this barrel has 3 pins, not 2. I searched online to find a similar gun but found nothing that matches for a mass production.
Second, I thought maybe someone removed the tang and breech plug and installed a different plug to maybe deactivate. But the drum and nipple are still there and the barrel capable of firing so it was pointless installing this plug for that purpose. Then I tried to remove said plug after removing the drum. I can't find any type of bit that fits tight enough to grab and I have a lot of bits. Looking at the plug, it sort of looks like a Torx with some flat sides. So I was wondering if it's possible that the tang was a style that had a corresponding piece that fit into this plug, then a screw down into the trigger frame through the tang. Anyone see anything like it?
I showed the barrel and a pic of the stock it came from.

Attachments

• DSCF7988.JPG
    DSCF7988.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
  • DSCF7990.JPG
    DSCF7990.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCF7991.JPG
    DSCF7991.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCF7994.JPG
    DSCF7994.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
The shape of the patch box looks like a rifle I have seen. Maybe FIE ? Production from the 70's I think Italian. Does it have a 2 piece stock?

Cut and re-breech is the correct answer.

You didn't mention caliber. A lot of 60s - 70s were .45?

The great thing about .45 caliber guns is .450 is the correct tap drill size for a 1/2-20 thread.

It's a H&A Minuteman. They came in .45 caliber (actually a .44) or .36. I have one. The tang is indeed set up to slide into that breechplug. They were sold as completed rifles or in kit form in the late 60s - early 70s. Mine is a .44/.45 with deep rifling in a 1 in 48 twist. Really likes a .430 ball ahead of 77 grains of 3F. Not exactly a plinking load but stupidly accurate.

Yes. Now I know why I failed math lol. Actually had something else on my brain when I wrote hexagon.
Yeah, an allen head fits the tightest but unfortunately not near well enough to remove the plug.

It could be an early H and A. Back in the early 1970's , I ran across one in a sport shop , took it down off the rack , examined it , and put it back. Saw a write up in Muzzle Blasts Mag. , about that time , and the author was going to put a new patch box on his, saying the original box looked to much like a paint spill. The rifle I saw looked serviceable , though a little unusual ,and it was a.45 cal.. Hopefilly , someone got some fun shooting it.

Yeah, I have to decide what I'm doing with it. The original stock is broken and all I have for it are the patch box and trigger guard. So it's a project I have to decide about. But I will contact you if need be. Thanks.

If I wanted to get the plug out, I would get an Allem wrench that fit and tack weld the wrench into the plug. Wrap the barrel with rags soaked in ice water and give each tack time to cool down.

If I wanted to get the plug out, I would get an Allem wrench that fit and tack weld the wrench into the plug. Wrap the barrel with rags soaked in ice water and give each tack time to cool down.

This is what I was thinking the other day. But it has to wait until warmer weather when I can get out to my shop where the welder and various specialty tools are.

Latest posts

Back