• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black bear harvest with .58 Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mahkagari

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Took this sow on Friday morning. Same guide and location as my mountain lion hunt on the Jicarilla Apache Reservation. The tribe has been shut down since the beginning of COVID and they had to completely cancel last year's hunting season. That's a significant source of revenue they didn't get. They also had to cancel their pow-wow gathering for the past two years. He offered me a good discount as a repeat customer to come for a bear hunt. I drew an elk tag for this year, but he warned me if they have to shut down again, it will get deferred.

I had packed a week's worth of supplies and we got her treed the first morning before I'd even eaten breakfast yet. I hit her with a good shot with the .58 but she still took a while to fall. I was stressing that I hadn't hit her well but could see that she had blood on her mouth and that she was huffing real good, so I knew I'd hit the lung. I managed to get some follow-ups in, first with another .58 and then with a centerfire. It took awhile because she kept pointing her butt at me from in the tree. Hitting her in a hind leg wasn't going to get her down. It was just going to inflict more pain and damage meat.

When she finally did fall, she got her leg hung up and was hanging from a branch for a couple of minutes. We were wondering if we'd need to get a chainsaw or try shooting at the branch she was hung up on, but she finally let loose. When we got to where she fell, I could see the shot was dead on, but she just didn't want to go down easy to make me work for it. I saw my follow ups had also hit her lungs. I told her I was sorry she took so long to go down, but I couldn't have made better shots to make it quicker. When we were picking her up, I could feel the leg she got hung up on was shattered. I was glad it happened as she expired because that would have been incredibly painful otherwise. When breaking her down, there was nothing left of the leg. The bone break had bruised all of the meat of the shank. It was worse than blood shot. I also lost a rack of ribs to the follow-ups. The rest of the meat is great. I've already had some breakfast sausage from her that was excellent.

It took four of us to carry her out on a pole. Easily over 200lbs. Lots of fat on her, which was unusual for this early in the season. The outfitter had warned me we had to choose between getting her early with less fat or waiting and taking the chance that they'd migrate on for the winter. She ended up being just what I was looking for. Lot of fat for tallow and a good amount of meat. She gave me a quick time getting her to a tree, but was making me work taking her down and hauling her out. Cutting her up in the summer heat quickly to get her into the freezer was no picnic either. Oh, and then when I was skinning out her skull, she was biting her lip! I'd gotten the rest of her face detached, but one piece of her lip was caught between her upper and lower canine. So I had to cut her lower jaw loose to get the hide off to the taxidermist.

This is the first time that rifle has actually killed something. I'd tried it on a bison bull, but it just managed to give him a headache. It's a replica I built of my great-great-great grandfather's which is on display in the Palace of the Governor's in Santa Fe. It took 2 years of research and 100 hours over four months to build.

Attachments

• BlackBear.jpg
    BlackBear.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 233
Ya, I used to have a big need to get a bear. Then I watched You Tube archery videos and decided i wont kill one if it wasnt after me or my dog. I love em. Great for you, years ago I would have been right there. I am glad you got yer bear and I will be in an elk blind this year too! Good luck on elk! Lotta meat this winter!!

Great hunting story and report on the .58, congratulations!
Probably others here want to learn more about your experience hunting bison with the .58. I’m a guy just hankering to hunt out west, and big on learning what works and doesn’t work for others. Again, congratulations

Took this sow on Friday morning. Same guide and location as my mountain lion hunt on the Jicarilla Apache Reservation. The tribe has been shut down since the beginning of COVID and they had to completely cancel last year's hunting season. That's a significant source of revenue they didn't get. They also had to cancel their pow-wow gathering for the past two years. He offered me a good discount as a repeat customer to come for a bear hunt. I drew an elk tag for this year, but he warned me if they have to shut down again, it will get deferred.

I had packed a week's worth of supplies and we got her treed the first morning before I'd even eaten breakfast yet. I hit her with a good shot with the .58 but she still took a while to fall. I was stressing that I hadn't hit her well but could see that she had blood on her mouth and that she was huffing real good, so I knew I'd hit the lung. I managed to get some follow-ups in, first with another .58 and then with a centerfire. It took awhile because she kept pointing her butt at me from in the tree. Hitting her in a hind leg wasn't going to get her down. It was just going to inflict more pain and damage meat.

When she finally did fall, she got her leg hung up and was hanging from a branch for a couple of minutes. We were wondering if we'd need to get a chainsaw or try shooting at the branch she was hung up on, but she finally let loose. When we got to where she fell, I could see the shot was dead on, but she just didn't want to go down easy to make me work for it. I saw my follow ups had also hit her lungs. I told her I was sorry she took so long to go down, but I couldn't have made better shots to make it quicker. When we were picking her up, I could feel the leg she got hung up on was shattered. I was glad it happened as she expired because that would have been incredibly painful otherwise. When breaking her down, there was nothing left of the leg. The bone break had bruised all of the meat of the shank. It was worse than blood shot. I also lost a rack of ribs to the follow-ups. The rest of the meat is great. I've already had some breakfast sausage from her that was excellent.

It took four of us to carry her out on a pole. Easily over 200lbs. Lots of fat on her, which was unusual for this early in the season. The outfitter had warned me we had to choose between getting her early with less fat or waiting and taking the chance that they'd migrate on for the winter. She ended up being just what I was looking for. Lot of fat for tallow and a good amount of meat. She gave me a quick time getting her to a tree, but was making me work taking her down and hauling her out. Cutting her up in the summer heat quickly to get her into the freezer was no picnic either. Oh, and then when I was skinning out her skull, she was biting her lip! I'd gotten the rest of her face detached, but one piece of her lip was caught between her upper and lower canine. So I had to cut her lower jaw loose to get the hide off to the taxidermist.

This is the first time that rifle has actually killed something. I'd tried it on a bison bull, but it just managed to give him a headache. It's a replica I built of my great-great-great grandfather's which is on display in the Palace of the Governor's in Santa Fe. It took 2 years of research and 100 hours over four months to build.

.58 is way to big! You should have used a .45 it would drop a bear dead in his tracks! Pun intended!

I read your lion hunt post. Wow, is that ever a forum to avoid. Seems like petty jealousy dominates some posts no matter where you go. Your lion hunt story is neat. It’s not something I would do, and I actually enjoyed your consideration of available calibers and firearms more than any other part of it. How did the lion taste? I’ve heard their back straps are good.

.58 is way to big! You should have used a .45 it would drop a bear dead in his tracks! Pun intended!

But I didn't have a .45, so..... ;) She just didn't want to go down. Happens that way sometimes, at least to me. I've put four centerfires into a bison cow's brain and she was still kicking.

I read your lion hunt post. Wow, is that ever a forum to avoid. Seems like petty jealousy dominates some posts no matter where you go.

Whoops. Didn't mean to include the hyperlink when I leveraged some of the text. But yeah, there's always "that guy" in any forum. In this case, "that guy" cooled his jets after his knee jerk and has been more open minded when I post about hunting.

Your lion hunt story is neat. It’s not something I would do, and I actually enjoyed your consideration of available calibers and firearms more than any other part of it. How did the lion taste? I’ve heard their back straps are good.

I've been saying bison is to beef as mountain lion is to factory pork.

Have yet to get a lion but hear they taste like pork chops?

REALLY good pork chops!

Last edited:
Great hunting story and report on the .58, congratulations!
Probably others here want to learn more about your experience hunting bison with the .58. I’m a guy just hankering to hunt out west, and big on learning what works and doesn’t work for others. Again, congratulations

Below is my post about the bison. I crony'ed it after and, past 50 yards, it just doesn't have much oomph with a PRB. I don't like the accuracy loss with boolits in my .58's slow twist.

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/buffalo-hunt-descending-slide-whistle.111097/

I got to hunt the Jicarilla many years ago, it is a great place to go.

Lionel Talamante is an excellent houndsman. He trees and frees every day, so one way or another the predators leave their deer and elk alone.

Below is my post about the bison. I crony'ed it after and, past 50 yards, it just doesn't have much oomph with a PRB. I don't like the accuracy loss with boolits in my .58's slow twist.

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/buffalo-hunt-descending-slide-whistle.111097/
Ok I read your bison hunt account, and it is interesting. You say there was user error involved, and it seems to me also bad luck with the muzzleloader. My takeaway is that I need to practice shooting and reloading from different positions, especially seated, if I hunt out west in the prairie. I’m used to hunting the east, where trees are thick. Thank you for directing me to your report

Ok I read your bison hunt account, and it is interesting. You say there was user error involved, and it seems to me also bad luck with the muzzleloader. My takeaway is that I need to practice shooting and reloading from different positions, especially seated, if I hunt out west in the prairie. I’m used to hunting the east, where trees are thick. Thank you for directing me to your report

And crony your loads to confirm knockdown power over distance. :)

Since then, I also worked out a bipod made of two dowels. Put a screw through them to make a hinge and cut off the excess metal with a hacksaw. Then took some 16p nails and cut the heads off, drilled into the feet of the bipod, and glued the nails in. I learned later that such a bipod is actually called "buffalo style". It worked very well on last year's bison with a centerfire on a 350yd shot. One hit and he was well on his way out and a follow up and he was down.

Latest posts

Back