• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

big chip

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trigrcreep

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello-while working on the ramrod entry I have a chip that broke out and I was wondering what glue to use to put it back in.It is a rather obvious spot also thin as the channel is right under it. Thanks folks, Bill

Thanks-I worked on it today and minimized the damage. Will go pick up glue tomorrow

I have used superglue on all my chip repairs, never had one turn loose. Never seen any of sugar crumbling of superglue.

I sometimes use superglue on tip overlays on wood bows, none of these have ever turned loose either and they are under a lot more strain than simply putting a wood chip back in place on a stock.

All superglue is not created equal, I prefer Loc-Tite.

Get medium thickness CA form an outfit like Woodcraft, a hobby or archery shop. The supermarket stuff in the tiny tube is not very good. Put a dab under the mistake if it is still partially attached. Position it and hold it in place with a pointy object, like a screwdriver. When it is just right spritz it with accelerator, hold for 30 seconds, ...done.

Some will say accelerator weakens it. Some say CA glues are weak. I have never noticed that, I have extensive experience. Another hobby of mine is scratch building large scale RC aircraft. Those can cost thousands of dollars to finish. CA is about the only glue used these days. It works very well. Yes Epoxy is used on engine mounts and very high stress areas. An errant inletting mistake is not high stress.

Many glues also work very well also, no arguments about that fact from on that. Take your choice.

I do it a little differently, I put superglue on the chip and in the chip hole, insert the chip and tap lightly on the chip with leather mallet or a piece of dowel. This really seats the chip and makes the repair almost invisible.

Here is a big chip repair I have posted before, left side of the tang adjacent to the screw. I chipped out a pencil eraser sized chip when I knocked the gun off my bench with the barrel in but the barrel pins out. The parts fit back together well after I gave them the tap, tap, with my leather mallet and some super glue.

Op4bR0f.jpg

My experience in super glues were multiple failures from disintegration. 15 plus years on somewhat modern SXS.[circa 1850's to 1900's but unmentionable here] very little on ML as owners would never pay enough to fix them. [sorry way it was]

4-5 years was the fix it life of the best superglue. Epoxy thinned and harder to do, would not comeback. I hate comebacks as that is working for free.

Just My opinion and will not use superglue as a final fix.

had good success even in high stress areas (rabbit eared shogun wrists, frame forks, etc) with clear 2-ton epoxy.
of course an invisible brass pin or 2 helps if there's enough "meat" to be feasable.

Back