• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Big Bore Mountain Rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Are the Big Bore Mountain Rifles, the .54s and .58s in the same serial sequence as the .45s and .50s?

Is my history correct in that the latter two came out in late 1975 and were first listed in the '76 catalog? When did the Big Bore rifles first show up?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, CVA, sorry.

Necchi- I've poured over those links and some others and don't see anything about the serials being together.

While the Big Bore is mentioned in the '79 catalog, there's no mention of the '78 and what was in it either.

Recently acquired a couple, one .54 has low numbers with round thimbles. It's number is lower than the 4 screw .50 cal.

That's the thing about serial numbers.
They don't always start at #1 and move along sequentially.
In the Case of the Mountain Rifle they did have #1 and 2,, there was a gent here that got them from an estate auction in un-fired condition.

But serial #'s can be a date, an order#, a machine or line or even an individual assembler at the plant.
They switched building the MR from the USA for the first few 100, over to Spain, and Deer Creek made some of the original MR and still make a copy of it,,
Having a low number I guess is proof that it's an older one but the list of when/where and how has been long lost, even many of those that were at the beginning of the CVR MR has since past and the info is gone with them.

We've been trying for years to find links or data and no-one has yet, :idunno:
Good luck, if you find something let us know.

So what is the story of a 45 cal. flint barrel Mt. Rifle that has a serial number in the 72000's, doesn't have "Made in USA" on it, but also doesn't have "Spain" anywhere on the barrel, or inside the lock for that matter.

And the lock is one of the better CVAs with a bridle overtop the tumbler, sear, and sear spring screws.

Spanish made? Or USA?

It could be one of the later ones. I received 1985 and 1990 CVA catalogs in the mail today. Curiously the Mountain rifle is not in the '85 catalog but two versions are listed in the 1990, one with a chrome lined bore and walnut stock and the standard select hardwood.

Does your .45 have a patch box? If so, how many screws?

Latest posts

Back