• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Best way to Remove old Sticky Bullet Lube

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Evans

40 Cal.
Reaction score
What is the best way to remove the old , sticky bullet lube from the Hornady Pa Conical ?

tempImageu47o02.jpg

Well I did the boiling water method and they turned out good. Now I will just relube them when I get ready to shoot.
Thanks for the input
tempImageV0bNuM.png

Just saying, for all these kinds of jobs including cosmoline, i put the parts into a fry pan with water and them them simmer 5-6min. Not only will apologizing to your wife do no good at all, the apology might be the last words ever spoken to her so learn stealth or dont do it.

Get your own fry pan at the resell-it shop so you will leave the cooking pans alone. You might still get some adverse feed back from the home front, but al least the cookware was unharmed.

Ok i meant it as a half-joke and the point was that regardless of the pan used, no wife would freely allow cooking of parts in her kitchen, stove or oven. There will be words--- even if she was the one who did it! Sure, fine, get a dedicated parts pot at a thrift store but still stay low about it. That said, I did use my moms soup pot to boil out a carburetor when I was a teen and lucky for me it did scrub up fine and nobody knew.

I've been using Lyman Blackpowder Gold lube for home cast maxiballs. It was designed for blackpowder cartridge loading, but is working well for me muzzleloading. I melt it in a pan of standing bullets and use a tightish fitting short tube to cut out the individual bullets after the lube has cooled in the refrigerator. I have also just rubbed it on with my fingers if just shooting a few. The only drawback is the high cost, and the maxiballs seem to use quite a lot of lube. I might look into some home made lubes to keep the cost down.

What is the best way to remove the old , sticky bullet lube from the Hornady Pa Conical ?

View attachment 63298
Auto supply stores sell Gum Cutter in spray cans. It is a multi-effective spray that cuts thru all manner of gunk. (Use with good ventilation!) Even removes whiskey bottle labels; spray, let sit, spray, carefully peel off label. I bet it'd clean up these bullets in a jiffy.

Latest posts

Back