• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hornady PA conicals ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyron4

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I picked up a box of 50 caliber 240 gr. Hornady PA conical bullets at a local shop , marked down to $13 for 50 bullets. From what I read they were made to fire in 1:66 round ball guns but give better terminal performance over a patched round ball. They are pre lubed, and I mean lubed ! Not sure what the lube is but it looks like sticky axle grease and the whole bullet is covered in it. Figured for 13 bucks I'd give them a try , if they don't shoot well then in the melting pot with them. Anyone have any experience with them ?

Here's a stock photo of them . They do NOT look that cleaned off in the bag.
hornady-pa-conical-vorderladergeschosseDZqzFj9Fgu3d0_600x600@2x.png

730932.jpg

Looks interesting.

Going to look for some.

Maybe this is the unicorn that will finally work in a 1:66.

PS: Just checked Midway USA. 43 per. That's an expensive lead bullet. You got a great deal at 26 per.

I tested a few in a rifle with a 1:60 twist last weekend, over 80 grains of 3Fg. Patched round balls shot more accurately, in that particular rifle, but it may also have been me. I plan to try them again, and also in another rifle with a 1:48 twist.

I cleaned off excess lube, especially out of the hollow base, before loading them, in the interest of consistency.

Looks like a remake of the old "Ball-ets". They shot pretty well, but my PRB would outshoot them, and there was no real difference in their killing ability.

They shoot really well in my 1:66 TC PA Hunter, will cloverleaf at 50yds if I do my job right. Also a note they shot to same POI as my PRB at same yardage. Also shoot pretty well out of my 1:48's that I have.

Have used in 1:48 and 1:66. I wiped all visible lube off each one. Good accuracy and I killed a deer at 50-yards with good penetration but not a pass through. Bullet was thoroughly deformed but not a mushroom. Would have used more but I went to 54 and 58 caliber ball instead of 50s

I bought some to try as well. They were on sale at Midway not too long ago. The bag they come with does look like it’s filled with axle grease. Mine has A LOT of grease in the bag. They are going to be messy! I bought them to try in my Great Plains Rifle.

SR1

Have used in 1:48 and 1:66. I wiped all visible lube off each one. Good accuracy and I killed a deer at 50-yards with good penetration but not a pass through. Bullet was thoroughly deformed but not a mushroom. Would have used more but I went to 54 and 58 caliber ball instead of 50s
What powder charge did you use ?

I bought some to try as well. They were on sale at Midway not too long ago. The bag they come with does look like it’s filled with axle grease. Mine has A LOT of grease in the bag. They are going to be messy! I bought them to try in my Great Plains Rifle.

SR1
"Messy" is an understatement. I plan to wipe them all down except the loading band and pack them in empty Great Plain Bullets trays.

They shoot great out of my Lyman GPR. Mine is 1:60, fwiw. Equally accurate to PRB in my gun, with 33% more weight. It's a deer rifle to me, so that's better.

They come coated in peanut butter.

1. Insert straw from WD40 bottle into bag, and spray for about 30 seconds. Zip bag, and shake for a couple minutes.
2. Pour liquid into trash, and spread bullets on paper towels. What was peanut butter is now more like caramel, and you can now wipe most of it off.
3. Wipe down each bullet separately, including the concave base (using a Q-tip).
4. Put bullets into a tray, and pour in 99% isopropal alcohol, and move bullets around a bit for a few minutes.
5. Drain liquid, and wipe down each bullet with paper towels.
6. The bullets are back to clean lead.
7. Now use an ACTUAL lube of your choice when shooting.

I make my own with lambs tallow/beeswax/olive oil, but before doing that I used RIG with good results. RIG lubes well, it's just that after testing I now firmly believe that organic lube leaves less fouling.

Sentry44

Last edited:
I acquired some recently and did only a brief range session with them with a TC 50 @ 1:48. I shot 70 grains 3f and didn't experiment with other charges. Results were promising. I don't anticipate using them myself but being over 210 grains makes them legal for elk in our state so it will make the 50 cals in the greater family useful for that.

The dang weather is starting to come around so more range time coming up. I'll do a report on a thorough shakedown afterwards.

Regarding the lube. I too find it to be excessive and plan to remove it and use an alternative. I have removed lube from other ml and commercial cast bullets by soaking them overnight in mineral spirits.

Back