• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

best sealer for new knife handle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nuttbush

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Pards,
Those of you out there who make the great looking knives on the forum, give me a little advice. I have a great forged period knife. It has a natural hickory handle. The wood is sanded down and already on the knife. I want to put a good durable finish on it and leave the wood natural. I have searched many catagories on this forum. All the different ways fellows finish off their stocks and handles has thoroughly confused me. One of the easiest and natural ways was described as putting successive layers of Danish Oil on the wood till it will not accept any more, let that dry and then start with several layers of Tung oil for a durable finish. Does this sound like a good finish and sealer for Knives, Tomahawks, and Warclubs. Many thanks in advance.
Gene

Yes, it sounds good to me, I use Tung oil in one form or another on all wood handles. I like the Chambers Stock Finish, its Tung oil and Linseed oil base.
Jeff

I usually put on a heavy coat of boiled linseed, let it soak about 20 minutes and wipe it off then let it dry overnite. Then put on a couple of cats of tung oil, let dry and follow up with a paste wax, rubbed with a piece of wool...Bud

Back