• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

best non-patroleum Lube

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As alot of the other guys have already said there are a ton of differnt things out there that work. Personally I like olive oil, but my favorite by far is bear oil, I usually cold press the fat first for some really fine oil that I use for lock internals and then render the oil out of the fat for general use as lube and rust prventitive. Never really had a problem with rust and the bear oil stays prett fluid even as cold as it gets anywhere here in MI. Coon oil and beaver oil works pretty well to. The only drawback with the whole bear grease is that you have to get ahold of the bear first (usually not a problem, but I have the worst luck on drawing a bear tag, I have only drawn twice since they went back to the lottery hunt here).

TANSTAAFL said:
Marvels Mystery Oil is no slouch for such, good for 60 below zero too, I use it on lock internals.

I doubt it's water-soluble at 60 below?

I've been using Ballistol for about 4 years on everything, modern and primitive guns and I love the stuff. It works good for me even though others haven't had any luck with it. It's all I care to use anymore.

TN.Frank said:
I've been using Ballistol for about 4 years on everything, modern and primitive guns and I love the stuff. It works good for me even though others haven't had any luck with it. It's all I care to use anymore.

Which are you using Frank, the clear, green label Sportsmens Ballistol aerosol or the brownish red label-oil? I think both work as a patch lube.

:v :v

I'm using the green label Sportsmens Ballistol aerosol. I like the fact that it's non-toxic so it won't hunt my cats or grandkids. I've not tried it as a patch lube yet, I guess I'm stuck on Crisco,LOL. Been using Crisco as a patch lube for almost 30 years, if it works don't fix it,LOL.

Back