• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Best BP substitute??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wink

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Based on previous posts it seems that the overwhelming majority feel Goex FFF is superior to any BP substitute. My question is ... If someone cant find Goex how would you rank the BP substitutes out there with regards to ignition and consistency?

Since I can't find real BP around here, I use Pyrodex RS in my T/C Hawkins and CVA Bobcat. I have never had problems getting the main charge to go off. I use Remmington 11 Caps. I also swap the barrel after 5 shots and pop a cap without powder in the barrel to dry out the chamber. Seems to work for me.

Since I am in Indiana, I am going to Friendship this summer to get some Real BP.

you can order online and have Goex BP or several other brands delivered right to your door UPS. That is what I do.

I buy from Powder, Inc. Phone 1-877-833-1799 You call their toll free number and go from there. They are also listed in the links section of this forum. $10.50 per 1 lb can Goex FFG or FFFG and you have to order 5 lbs minimum. Just ordered more today. Substitutes are more expensive anyway here where I live and they do not work as well in my opinion. You still have cleanup with Goex BP, but that is fun too and you will have to cleanup with Pyrodex or any of the others as well.
Jim

Just had a email from TOW Goex announced a 10% increase starting the first of the year.

777 is high but worth it, rael BP is getting hard to find, e mail Goex ask for closest to you and youll get a spot Pow inc supplys(what they did to me a few days ago) Fred

When I get some real BP should I store it any different than my Pyrodex? I keep my bottles in my bedroom closet. From a practical perspective is BP more dangerous than Pyrodex?

I have kept Goex BP in my house since 1976 with no problem. I have a walk in closet in spare bedroom that I keep it in. I have all kinds of shotgun and rifle smokeless powders as well there. I don't think it is any more dangerous than Pyrodex. But, I am not an expert by any means on storing munitions though.

Jim in Idaho

My dad bought some 777 and tried it in his new ML rifle a few days ago. I did notice and he did too that the sound is a lot quieter than Goex BP. We were putting 70 grains 777 in his rifle and when it was shot it was markedly quieter than the Goex BP..... and I was using 70 grains as well of Goex BP in my rifles for targets, the same as he was using in his.
Has anyone experienced this as well? The sound of 777 going off being a "lot" quieter than BP? My dad can't hear that well and he noticed it even. The 777 is over 1 yr old and has been stored in his garage, but it never gets below 50 degrees in his garage and moisture is not a problem here in Idaho where we have almost no humidity in air.
Thanks,
Jim in Idaho

Wink said:
Based on previous posts it seems that the overwhelming majority feel Goex FFF is superior to any BP substitute. My question is ... If someone cant find Goex how would you rank the BP substitutes out there with regards to ignition and consistency?

Pyrodex RS at $9/lb when WalMart sells year end surplus at clearance is hard to beat for for local BP subs if I had to use a BP sub...because I'm one of those who believes the following:

No matter what powder I will ever shoot in a muzzleloader, no matter how much cleaner buring it hyped up to be, I will have to religiously clean the rifle as throughly as I ever did, no matter what powder I've used in it.

So to me personally, all the advertised cleaner buring benefits of this powder over that powder don't get me too excited.

I want something that is fast, clean, and accurate at a reasonable price for a lot of weekly shooting year round.

So I get cases of Goex delivered to my front door for $10.25/lb...outstanding powder on all counts and don't have to bother with the BP subs.

And still .. what about this Express??? I use Swiss for target, 777 if Im shooting fast, cant swab a lot, Kik is good, but this new BP sounds to good , think Ill try 5 lbs of it. thanks for asking or I would of missed it. Fred :hatsoff:

Bless Wal-mart and thier year end surplus. I bought 4 pounds of pyrodex rs at $9 a bottle. Good for shooting, not for priming. Plus, when I start to huntin hog around here, I'll try the real stuff for my main charge.

Back