• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bent stock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montezuma

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I have a jackie brown left hand lock 20 guage trade gun. Was built about 17 years ago. I just noticed the stock is bent to the left around the wrist. I'm not sure if it was always bent or it recently happened, not sure why I didn't notice it. Is it normal for a builder to bend a stock? Saw a video of a gun smith bending a over under stock to one side. Anybody know if jackie brown normally bent stocks one way or the other.

My bet is the stock warped that way after major wood removal and has been there since....especially if its a right handed gun and the stock is bent to the left as if standing behind the gun as that is cast-on.

last fowler i built has 20221030_110156.jpg cast. I got the blank cheap because of it. works perfect for me!

Cast Off is the bend in the wrist for right-handed long guns.
Cast On is the bend in left-handed stocks at the wrist.
Cast helps the shooter's shooting eye to align with the sights more easily.
I've never understood why the cast in a lefthanded stock is called cast on. It's cast to the left side for the left handed shooter. It would be called cast on for a right handed shooter and should be called cast off for a lefty.

I've never understood why the cast in a lefthanded stock is called cast on.
It's cast to the left side for the left handed shooter. It would be called cast on for a right handed shooter and should be called cast off for a lefty.
If so, then you would have to qualify whether the lock was right or left, and then you could determine On or Off.
It's starting to get cumbersome.
With Right Off and Left On, we don't need to know whether the lock is right or left.
I like Simple.

But, this is just for conversational purposes only.
No agreement or disagreement is going to change things.
Just like most of the threads here. :ghostly:

It's standardized for a right-side dominant world. On or off the face always referencing a right hand hold.

Some RH folks are built so they actually need a slight cast on for a shotgun to fit them and point naturally.

It's probably always been that way and you never noticed. Wood that old shouldn't take off on a bend.
I had one from him a few years back, it was a a Fowler with a significant cast off to the left, I called him and he said he makes them all that way.. well fast forward to about a year ago, my buddy got one from him and I ended up with it, it has no cast off at all… and now since I went through it, looks great. Never again will I buy a rifle or Fowler from that gentleman without seeing it in person first.

Last edited:
If so, then you would have to qualify whether the lock was right or left, and then you could determine On or Off.
It's starting to get cumbersome.
With Right Off and Left On, we don't need to know whether the lock is right or left.
I like Simple.

But, this is just for conversational purposes only.
No agreement or disagreement is going to change things.
Just like most of the threads here. :ghostly:
No argument here either, it's just a point of curiosity. I do know a fellow who got confused by it though (not myself). After he was told how well cast off works on an unmentionable he built one using the dimensions we gave him. The only problem, which he figured out real quick after he finished the nice rifle, is that he was a lefty and he had laid the stock out for right handers like us. At least he got some practice with inletting and finishing.

Back