• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bending Reeds

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jetcanoe

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have some nice reed/cane lengths I've been using with my stone and clay pipe bowls but want to try making a curved or bent pipe stem next.

I've never done this. Would I just boil a big pot of water and lay the stem across the top of the pot until it's pliable?

I always like to ask for tips before I screw up a project :haha:

Thanks y'all!

in a, way you want to steam them, not boil, look for a "steam box" or "how to steam wood" that should tell you how to do it and the set up. :thumbsup:

Reeds are Grasses- not trees. I would be very careful using BOILING water with them. Just soaking the stems in room temperature water should soften them enough to eventually bend. Talk to reed instrument players, particularly the Double Reed instruments like the Oboe, Bassoon, or English Horn. They are the current experts on shaping and bending reeds. Single Reed players are always sucking on the thinned reeds to make them pliable, so they don't split when played.

I read earlier about the use of elderberry plants by natives. The straigt stems are located in spring and dried with the leaves on them. Then the poisonous pith is removed and the stems are made into arrow shafts, flutes, elk bugles, pipe stems etc. Later children also used to make whistles from them. Not on the topic of reeds but somewhat related.
Oh... the flowers are useful as medicine too. The dried white flowers being much more valuable than those dried to a yellow color. I've done this before. Care should be taken not to confuse elderberry plants with hemlock.

Doe's anyone else see the red underlined word flower? I am wondering if it is just me or I am actually sending ads when I type somehow without my knowledge. Odd.

Well right - that's what I meant by laying the reed across the top (rim) of the pot to let the steam from the water act on it. I wonder if one could insert a wire through the reed before steaming to help with the bend and keep the hole/channel from deforming?

I would want to put a wire into the reed of I were trying to bend a reed more than 30 degrees. I don't think it matters if you put it in before steaming or afterwards. The wire needs to be the right diameter to give support to the hollow of the reed, so it doesn't pinch, kink or collapse- same problem with bending any metal pipe, really.

Assuming that your "reeds" are some sort of river cane, steam isn't necessary. Simply heat 'em with a heat gun, or over a burner on the kitchen range until they become pliable, then bend to shape.

Here is a video of straightening cane for arrow shafts. The same technique could be used in bending them for pipe stems.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFxZ8D3Mya0

God bless

Last edited by a moderator:
A soft wire is almost needed to prevent the reeds from collasping when bent any significant amount. Or you could fill the reed with sand to accomplish the same thing.

Back