• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bending Hamer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I put a new Green Mtn barrel on my T/C Hawken and the hammer dosen't line up with the nipple. What's the best way to bend the hammer? Cold bend it or heat it? If I heat it do I have to quench it any certain way? Thanks.

Not sure if the T/C hammer is hardened. The CVA can be bent cold. Take it off the gun and put it in a vice and use a large cresent wrench if it needs to twisted a little to line up. If it breaks send it to T/C and they will probably send you a new one. Wrap it in paper or clothe to keep from marring the finnish.

I would give Green Mountain a call or send them an email. I talked to them several weeksa ago and they told me that was the most common problem with their drop in barrels and mentioned to heat the hammer to bend it.

I'm assuming you are talking alignment from side to side. I don't think you could bend it from front to back.

Test the hammer to see if it is hardened. Basically run a file in an inconspicuous place. If the file works on the hammer with ease it is soft and will probably bend. If you run the file over it and it doesn't file, your dealing with a hardened hammer.

I've recently heated up a trigger which was too hard and brittle. Now its softer and not prone to break like the last three.

I did one the other day. Drilled and filed a hole in a piece of 1/4 flat bar so the nose of the hammer fitted snug, heated it and bent it right first time. With it held by the nose it's easier to see just what's going on.
Rex Dev.

Latest posts

Back