• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

SOLD Beaded Native American buckskin bag by Sioux Bead Artist

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Wasn’t sure where to list this but this is an exceptional beaded buckskin bag by Sioux bead artist Doug A. Fasthorse. Bag measures 8 inches wide and 12 inches tall. Bag laying flat is 1 inch wide but will expand when stuff is placed in it. I tried to show half the strap length with a tape measure to give you an idea of its length. Bag has glass pony beads of different sizes, mother of pearl, tin metal decorations. Bag could be used as a possibles bag or just an extra bag to carry additional stuff with your mountain man or frontier impression. This is a true collectible work of art by a renowned Native American artist. Asking $200.

Attachments

• IMG_7110.jpeg
    IMG_7110.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7112.jpeg
    IMG_7112.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7111.jpeg
    IMG_7111.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7113.jpeg
    IMG_7113.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7114.jpeg
    IMG_7114.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7115.jpeg
    IMG_7115.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Very nice stitching indeed.
But that does not seem to be an authentic signature. Many quality museum sources are available too view on line,,
Have provenance?

I never said it was signed by him. What you see is more of a trademark that he uses. The style and design of this bag follows the same in other examples of his work. I believe he’s deceased now and he has a son born in 1963 whose first name escapes me right now, but is also an artist as well. If you google Doug Fasthorses name you will probably find other examples of his work. I bought this several years ago off of EBay (which I have listed there as well). Based on my conversations I believe it’s authentic.

I never said it was signed by him. What you see is more of a trademark that he uses. The style and design of this bag follows the same in other examples of his work. I believe he’s deceased now and he has a son born in 1963 whose first name escapes me right now, but is also an artist as well. If you google Doug Fasthorses name you will probably find other examples of his work. I bought this several years ago off of EBay (which I have listed there as well). Based on my conversations I believe it’s authentic.
This bag has a bunch of beadwork on it. No telling how many hours it took to make this. This would make quite an eye catching conversation piece at a rendezvous. I’ll reluctantly come down to $175 and include shipping.

This bag has a bunch of beadwork on it. No telling how many hours it took to make this. This would make quite an eye catching conversation piece at a rendezvous. I’ll reluctantly come down to $175 and include shipping.
many people really don't understand the hours it takes to do applique beadwork it isn't done on a loom it's done all by hand.
What is the length of the strap?

many people really don't understand the hours it takes to do applique beadwork it isn't done on a loom it's done all by hand.
What is the length of the strap?
Your right! I’ve tried my hand at it and done just enough to know it takes more patience than I’ve got. The strap is around 38inches. It’s got a little bit of stretchiness to it so it might be near 40……..thanks for your interest. I’ve got it listed on EBay starting at $200 but if someone here wants it, I’ll be glad to pull the listing.

It is very nicely done. It appears to me that the beadwork on the strap,at least, was done on something other that the leather strap and was then stitched to the strap with a running stitch. Can you confirm if all of the beadwork is lazy stitched to the leather?
Am am guessing that if it is lazy stitched into the leather that it took 35 to 40 hours to bead.

It is very nicely done. It appears to me that the beadwork on the strap,at least, was done on something other that the leather strap and was then stitched to the strap with a running stitch. Can you confirm if all of the beadwork is lazy stitched to the leather?
Am am guessing that if it is lazy stitched into the leather that it took 35 to 40 hours to bead.
I don’t have the bag near me to look at but I do believe the the big pattern on the front was done on some kind of material then attached to the leather. Sounds like you know a thing or two about beadwork. Unless you have an extremely soft or thin leather like brain tan, stitching on leather with small beads is very hard requiring punching a hole with an awl and then running your beading needle, which has to be extremely thin to fit through the smaller beads, through hole. Now some will stitch just under the leather surface and not go all the way through. I think that’s what you’re referring to as a lazy stitch. It’s been a while since I researched this stuff and can’t remember all the details.

I don’t have the bag near me to look at but I do believe the the big pattern on the front was done on some kind of material then attached to the leather. Sounds like you know a thing or two about beadwork. Unless you have an extremely soft or thin leather like brain tan, stitching on leather with small beads is very hard requiring punching a hole with an awl and then running your beading needle, which has to be extremely thin to fit through the smaller beads, through hole. Now some will stitch just under the leather surface and not go all the way through. I think that’s what you’re referring to as a lazy stitch. It’s been a while since I researched this stuff and can’t remember all the details.
I once tried to bead a cherokee wool bandolier bag. It wasn’t long before I figured out why those things cost so much! I think the majority of beaders have bad eyes from straining to see bead holes and the exact place to run the needle, whether it’s fabric or leather. Lol There’s just no short cut way to run those beads. Lazy stitch is a little misleading if you don’t understand what it means.

Your right! I’ve tried my hand at it and done just enough to know it takes more patience than I’ve got. The strap is around 38inches. It’s got a little bit of stretchiness to it so it might be near 40……..thanks for your interest. I’ve got it listed on EBay starting at $200 but if someone here wants it, I’ll be glad to pull the listing.
I have to tell you that if the strap was a bit longer, I'd buy it from you, that length would put it just under my arm pit..

I have to tell you that if the strap was a bit longer, I'd buy it from you, that length would put it just under my arm pit..
It would be easy to add a new section to the strap. Just splice in a section on either side. That particular buckskin should be easy to match. I had planned to do that but never got around to it……..thanks.

I got a chance to look at the bag up close. The big square front patch and the long patch on the strap are beadwork done on some kind of fabric and then attached to the bag. The beadwork on the flap and the circle patch on the back are done directly on the leather.

I got a chance to look at the bag up close. The big square front patch and the long patch on the strap are beadwork done on some kind of fabric and then attached to the bag. The beadwork on the flap and the circle patch on the back are done directly on the leather.
Also, all the beadwork on the hanging fringe has been done directly on it too.

It would be easy to add a new section to the strap. Just splice in a section on either side. That particular buckskin should be easy to match. I had planned to do that but never got around to it……..thanks.
I got to thinking. Adding a spliced piece on the strap just below the strap beadwork would also give you a place to attach a patch knife. That would look really sharp!

Back