• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

barrell fresh

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I have. This is what I made to do the job.
IMG_2127.jpg

IMG_2128.jpg

I poured lead several inches apart on a piece of hickory, lined up the grooves and put in a cutter that I made from tool steel.
The dove tail was made to remove so that it would remove the pressure from the cutter. I shimmed up the cutter using a ciggarette paper for a new pass. Once the grooves were finished I mad a new stick and cutter for the lands.

Forgot to mention I used the slower than a big box of slow things method.

Working with an old barrel bore can be done as the material used back then and rifling process of cutting the bore and grooves was the standard method...Todays barrels are not always cut, but button rifled...Works for rifling that is pretty shallow for work with bullets...

Trying to work with cutters on a bore that has button rifled is more difficult/hard on tooling as the button rifling method tends to hardened the the bore and grooves... :winking: ...The Lizard...

I try to avoid doing such things again, but I did learn a some stuff. Like that was a lot of time spent. :haha:

I had a barrel re-bored and rifled on an old H. House rifle I owned by the Getz's. It was a .36 and they made it a .40... This was a while back and they told me that freshing out the barrel wasn't a good idea because it was a button rifled barrel.

Shot better than most of my modern rifles after that!

The barrel that I want to save is really old, has been shortened from the brech at least once. has snake track stipple engraving on the top. is swamped and has really dep rifleing.Have had it for years ,should really quit messing mabout and do it. thanks to all of you. Bob And no name on the barrel. durn.

Back