• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barrel rebore ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boker

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Is it possible to keep the same caliber barrel but have the rifling change?

For example a 45 caliber barrel with 1:48 twist to a 45 caliber with 1:66 twist

Ok that’s what I thought but wanted to make sure before I called and asked a dumb question. Thanks.
FYI, rifled rebore was running about $150 shipped back to you and a relining just over $200 from Bobby Hoyt last I heard. Depending on his hunting schedule, turnaround may take some time. Will only know for sure after you call him or someone else with that ‘dumb’ question.

Plan to call him soon. I have a 45cal T/C Cherokee barrel that’s seen better days. have a good replacement but this was the original barrel so would like to savage it for sentimental reasons.

Ever thought of simply having the bore "freshened"? 1-48" is fine for a .45 caliber ball.C.
It depends on the barrel maker. T.C. "button rifles" their barrels which hardens the steel as the rifling is formed. Cut rifled barrels are realatively easy to refresh. T.C. barrels are not. I have refreshed several CVA's and Italian barrels but my attempt to refreshen a T.C. barrel did not go well thus it was relined.

I have had virtually zero experience with T/C rifles. But I'm guessing the rifling is very shallow to start with. I have a friend who told me he wore out a T/C barrel years ago. I wonder then if the barrel in question could be bored smooth and re-rifled. With shallow grooves it doesn't seem that much metal would be lost from the barrel.

Ever thought of simply having the bore "freshened"? 1-48" is fine for a .45 caliber ball.
The rifling on the last 1” of the barrel is basically gone. I attribute it to the wrong kinda ram rod being used for mean years.(steel) There is also a lot of pitting inside the barrel.

Bought a mint condition 45 caliber barrel to replace it but the barrel in question was the original barrel when I received the rifle at 12 years of age.

Don’t really need another 1/48 45 caliber barrel so that’s why I am thinking about doing something different with it

A couple of options for the barrel. You could shorten the barrel a couple of inches but you say it is pitted. You can also have Bobby Hoyt ream it to a larger size or make it a smooth bore. TC made a 56 smooth bore.

A couple of options for the barrel. You could shorten the barrel a couple of inches but you say it is pitted. You can also have Bobby Hoyt ream it to a larger size or make it a smooth bore. TC made a 56 smooth bore.

He's got a 13/16ths Cherokee barrel. Pretty sure Mr. Hoyt is not gonna bore that out bigger, even to smoothbore.

Latest posts

Back