• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barrel finishing question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arrowhead124

32 Cal
Reaction score
I have a friend who has a bluing tank and heats his barrels before bluing. I Was curious to see if the breech plug on a kibler woodsrunner needs removed for that process or if it’s fine to let it in?

Touch hole on my Woodsrunner was already installed when I received the kit. I plugged the barrel and the touch hole and browned the barrel. No problems!

Touch hole liners are made of stainless steel I think. I do know that browning solution doesn't work on them.
Ditto, except solution can get in to the bore through the touch hole, so you still want to plug it. I used a small nylon screw that I screwed into the touch hole.

Browning the treads of the cut and treaded touch hole might fuse the liner to the barrel.
Thats why I had to send my lock back to Chambers. A screw got fused to the lock plate.

Ditto, except solution can get in to the bore through the touch hole, so you still want to plug it. I used a small nylon screw that I screwed into the touch hole.
Yes definitely. I used a tooth pick as others have done. Works well enough.

Browning the treads of the cut and treaded touch hole might fuse the liner to the barrel.
Thats why I had to send my lock back to Chambers. A screw got fused to the lock plate.
I never brown the screws on locks for this reason. Besides, I like the contrast between the browned plate and the screw heads in the white. They will patina on their own.

I have a friend who has a bluing tank and heats his barrels before bluing. I Was curious to see if the breech plug on a kibler woodsrunner needs removed for that process or if it’s fine to let it in?

Yes i would remove it, you’d want to plug both ends with a wooden peg.

It would be pretty hard to get the barrel as clean as possible, oil free, with the breech plug on it too.

Back