• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barktan deer leather

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Soultz

32 Cal
Reaction score
Check it out!!! I made barktan leather. Got a few oil spots to take care of but overall it'll do. Now to do MORE!!!

Attachments

• 20240301_064117.jpg
    20240301_064117.jpg
    951.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240301_064053.jpg
    20240301_064053.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Details? What bark did you use? Where did you get your bark? Did you have to pickle the hide before tanning? How did you "break" the hide after tanning? What big vessel did you use for tanning? Is that deer hide? Thanks!
This hide was tanned while following along in my online class Basics to Barktan. I highly encourage you to check it out. Their website is braintan.com. If you really want to learn it's money well spent. They also have some online articles on how to barktan.
Tan oak bark
Came in a kit braintan.com
Kinda. They call it drenching
Breaking is not as extensive as braintan.
For a full hide Ill use a tote that can carry 10 gallons
Yes this is deerskin.

This hide was tanned while following along in my online class Basics to Barktan. I highly encourage you to check it out. Their website is braintan.com. If you really want to learn it's money well spent. They also have some online articles on how to barktan.
Tan oak bark
Came in a kit braintan.com
Kinda. They call it drenching
Breaking is not as extensive as braintan.
For a full hide Ill use a tote that can carry 10 gallons
Yes this is deerskin.
Nice work! I took Matt’s class last year- it was amazing! I’m mostly a braintanner but sometimes you just gotta have bark leather.
Jay

Nice work! I took Matt’s class last year- it was amazing! I’m mostly a braintanner but sometimes you just gotta have bark leather.
Jay
Yeah it was a GREAT class. I plan on doing a few brain (egg) tan hides this year as well. His "Deerskins into Buckskins" book/DVD is really good also. Definitely opened up a whole new interest for me.

Yeah it was a GREAT class. I plan on doing a few brain (egg) tan hides this year as well. His "Deerskins into Buckskins" book/DVD is really good also. Definitely opened up a whole new interest for me.
Since 2020 I’ve been “brain”tanning with a mixture of 1/2 bar of Ivory soap (grated with my cheese grater) and 1/2 cup of vegetable oil, dissolved in boiling water and tempered back to bath temperature with cold water. About a gallon, gallon and a half altogether. The results are exactly the same as using brains, it smells better, and I can do 4 hides on a batch!
IMG_5271.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5270.jpeg
    IMG_5270.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Man, you guys are good! Matt, don't worry about the oil spots. I really like the slightly uneven color on that leather.

@Jay Templin , that looks like first-class braintan! I had heard of using Ivory soap and/or Wesson oil in lieu of brains, but I had never seen the result.

Great work, fellows!

Notchy Bob

Since 2020 I’ve been “brain”tanning with a mixture of 1/2 bar of Ivory soap (grated with my cheese grater) and 1/2 cup of vegetable oil, dissolved in boiling water and tempered back to bath temperature with cold water. About a gallon, gallon and a half altogether. The results are exactly the same as using brains, it smells better, and I can do 4 hides on a batch!View attachment 311101
Very interesting. I'll have to bend your ear if I head that direction. Very cool.

Since 2020 I’ve been “brain”tanning with a mixture of 1/2 bar of Ivory soap (grated with my cheese grater) and 1/2 cup of vegetable oil, dissolved in boiling water and tempered back to bath temperature with cold water. About a gallon, gallon and a half altogether. The results are exactly the same as using brains, it smells better, and I can do 4 hides on a batch!View attachment 311101
I found using that method I got stung a lot less by the brain loving yellow jackets.

I don't know about the current edition, but the copy I have had a picture of some of my items and mention of me in Matt's book.

Latest posts

Back