• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ballistol Alternate

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Virginian

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi relative Newbie and need some advice on cleaning.... started using Ballistol recently and as good as it is... it Stinks, stinks up my Condo... I wish I had a Garage or basement to work in. I can do the hot soapy water thing anytime but I'm looking for an alternative lube/preservative. I see Breakfree is used a bit. Can you give a new guy some help please and throw out a few recommendations.

Thanks in advance,
John

Lard, Bear oil, Olive oil, mutton tallow and a selection of other natural and less fragrant alternatives.

Ballistol smells like a cross between rotting fish and sweaty locker room to me. Won't go near it....

I've used CLP for several years. Had rusting issues with WD-40. Had zero trouble since changing. AND , it won't stink up your house.

If you need to something to clean with Dawn and water works well, if you need an oil for after cleaning. You can use Liquid Wrench with Teflon, LPS2, Remoil, Breakfree, they all work,but most have an odor.

Michael

Last June, at the NMLRA Spring shoot the Bevel Brothers were offering pint jars of Mobilmet S122 water soluble cutting oil at their booth. Joel- (aka:Bevel down) told me they were using it as a direct replacement for Ballistol. They were selling it for $4.00 a pint. Vendors selling Ballistol were asking $16.95 and up for a pint can of Ballistol.
I picked up a pint of the Mobilmet and find it to work very well in both my patch lube formulation and "moose milk" solution for wiping/cleaning.
Shopping for it online, I discovered it's difficult to find in less than 5 gallon pails.

I clean with hot water, dry it out with a couple of cotton patches, then squirt WD-40 down the barrel till it runs out the nipple hole to displace any water. The use Birchwood Casey Barricade to prevent rust. If you don't shoot it very often, it's good to check it once a month and make sure rust isn't sneaking in somewhere.

Some stinky things are actually pleasant-smelling depending on what you associate the smell with.

Hoppe's #9 has a strong smell but it is pleasant to me because it's what I smelled growing up when any guns were involved.

G-96 smells like a cross between bananas and a smashed wood roach but I like it too.

However, nobody in their right nose likes the smell of Ballistol. You are right, it stinks! :td:

Exactly what oily/ greasy stuff you use is not that important. The important thing is to use some after you clean the rifle. I would not use vegetable oils however, they dry out and get gummy. Other than that have at it. I have been using a lanolin based spray rust inhibitor. I have had no rust at all with it. IT smells nice, makes my hands soft, and is available in chain auto parts stores.
https://www.grainger.com/product/FLUID-FILM-Corrosion-Inhibi...

I agree that Balistol stinks, noxious actually. I see no advantage to it. If you want to make moose milk get water soluble machinists' oil. Ballistol is mostly plain old mineral oil. You can get very pure mineral oil at the drug store, it has no smell, and is completely safe to handle. In fact, drug store products..., Vaseline will work fine to prevent rust too. No smell. If they have a tub of pure lanolin, that is useful stuff .

The Balistol alcohols and "fragrance" have nothing to do with rust preventative qualities. Everyone has a favorite potion for their guns. That is fine, I won't say anyone is more right than anyone else. Just use something after you clean and you will be ok.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gun Oil works.
I use Hoppes and/or Remington.
For long term storage it's LPS2.
That part is easy, what's very important is to remove all traces of petroleum from the bore and flash channel before shooting again.

As both a lube and a preservative? I have nothing. Unless by "Lube" you mean for the pivot points and not a patch lube.

I like Barricade (was Sheath) for oiling and preserving the metal. For shooting I use either an alcohol/oil mix or a beeswax based lube.

I wipe the bore before loading to get all the penetrating oil out. Don't want that in the powder.

Fluid film is a great lube. Lanoilin has an extremely high film strength and is very slick. I use it on lock guts and it works great, it stay put, and does not run into the wood. Fluid Film also make a good resizing lube. A little goes a long way for that use.

I have not tried it as a patch lube. I would think it would would work well. It is non petrolium. So maybe about like mink or neatsfoot oil?

I use Remoil with great success, I have a friend, who lives on the California coast that tried it and his guns rusted very quickly. It is location. It could as simply as humidity. If WD40 works for you great, someone else might not get the same result depending on where they live.

Michael

Black Hand said:
Lard, Bear oil, Olive oil, mutton tallow and a selection of other natural and less fragrant alternatives.

Ballistol smells like a cross between rotting fish and sweaty locker room to me. Won't go near it....

I've had trouble describing the smell. One day my daughter walked into the room and said "That smells like cow butt!" I think she pegged it!

I am a newbee too. For cleaning the barrel I use windex. Just a little. It really works. After drying I use barricade. As a lube i use olive oil. Any cheap kind. Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back