• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New member, looking for advice on an old Thompson Center Renegade SB 56 cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaroldC

32 Cal
Reaction score
I'm a newbie to muzzle loaders. Found this site and love it. I live in MA. Inherited a pretty nice TC Renegade SB 56 cal. It's gorgeous but I know nothing about it. Some questions... 1) Does anyone know where I can get a User Manual for it? Google search is not coming up with much. Smith & Wesson owns TC now, so all contact goes to them, and their site doesn't mention a Manual for this piece. 2) Can anyone recommend at least one really good retailer who sells the powder, caps, patches, horns, measures, etc.? 3) Can this gun also be used for shot? 4) If you own one, what game do you find to be its best application?

I appreciate any advice or recommendations.

Welcome from SE PA.
Thompson center produced generic manuals that covered several current models of the time, so there won't be a specific one for the 56 smoothbore. And even though the 56 musket is mentioned for ball size in the manual, load data is not. I have an extra printed copy, if you want something original/physical.

Welcome, from North Carolina! You should be able to shoot patched round ball, shot, or “buck and ball” (which is basically a round ball and some buckshot). Post your question on the Percussion thread on the forum, and you will get more answers.

I did find the one from the link that VA Hawken sent. It is generic, but I think it will do, in conjunction with other forum posters' intel. Than you for your kind offer!

Where in Massachusetts are you?
My farm is in central mass.
& I love my tc56SB!!
I'm in the burbs just east of Worcester. So you love yours, awesome. Seems this is a quality piece, as I am reading more and more posts about it. Opens up a new world to me. Just gotta find a place to shoot it! I have a revolver, a pistol, and three 22 rifles, but this is a whole other breed, it seems. I want to shoot it outdoors, not in one of these unnatural indoor ranges, LOL!

Welcome from East TN, I have one and you can shot shot (shotgun), or round ball.
I've found you need a mold for the round ball as it's harder to find, as mentioned above TOW is a good place to get one. Round ball loads are very patch dependent, experiment with it. A very versatile piece !

Welcome from East TN, I have one and you can shot shot (shotgun), or round ball.
I've found you need a mold for the round ball as it's harder to find, as mentioned above TOW is a good place to get one. Round ball loads are very patch dependent, experiment with it. A very versatile piece !
Thanks! I plan to experiment, for sure.

Latest posts

Back