ball over shot?

Discussion in 'Smoothbore' started by mancill, Nov 12, 2019.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Dec 23, 2019 #21

rick1964

rick1964

rick1964

Pilgrim

ive also experimented with the double ball load. from 40 45 50 54 all shot well print one ball on top of the other 1 1/2 ' 2' group this was at 50 yards hugging a tree. basically like shooting a conical. i think if back in the past you had a smallish caliber to shoot at large game, that 2 holes would be better than one. what lacks is usually the pass thru hole for small calibers. no good blood trail. but in recent times i have used it in a shoot. rules said as many shots on the paper in a given time. that's it GO so i loaded 2 at a time in my 40 it did make all the difference. I tend to think out side the modern box

2. Dec 29, 2019 #22

Realwarrior

Realwarrior

Realwarrior

Pilgrim MLF Supporter

Yes.I have. I got the best results, on paper, with ball over the shoot & overshot card. I'm not saying it's recommended, AND I DEFINITELY WOULD NOT ADD ANYM POWDER AND DO NOT PATCH THE BALL. IF YOU DO EITHER you will increase the pressure in the barrel

3. Dec 29, 2019 #23

Stony Broke

Stony Broke

Stony Broke

32 Cal.

I would be afraid of loading shot on top of a ball, as I think it could deform the shot enough to possibly even make it perform as a barrel obstruction. I don't think the shot underneath the ball would necessarily be a danger though.
    I hunt hogs on a regular basis as well as trap them, so I am in the woods every day. I have shot many, many hogs over the years, using all kinds of firearms. One thing I think is awry here is using the shot on a hog, as it can not penetrate enough to do any real damage to a hog. You might put some under the skin, but will never reach a depth to do any real damage to internals. I'd stick to solid projectiles if I were you..

Dr5x likes this.
  4. Dec 29, 2019 #24

smo

smo

smo

70 Cal. MLF Supporter

I've done it as well.

5. Dec 29, 2019 #25

Dr5x

Dr5x

Dr5x

50 Cal. MLF Supporter

SAFE AND FERAL HOGS SELDOM APPEAR IN THE SAME PARAGRAPH.
    I WOULD SUGGEST THAT YOU LOAD FOR HOGS AND HUNT FOR THEM SPECIFICALLY.

WHEN I VISITED THE OAHA BEACH AREA IN 1998 I NOTICED THAT THEY APPARENTLY HAD A FERALHOG PROBLEM ON ALL THAT NOW BRUSHY GROUND OUR TROOPS HAD SO MUCH TROUBLE ASCENDING.. FROM WHAT I COULD MAKE OF THEIR TUNNELS IN ALL THAT BRUSHY EXPANSE, THEIR HOGS WERE ABOUT HALF THE SIZE OF OUR HOGS, BUT STIL DANGEROUS.
    DUTCH

6. Dec 30, 2019 #26

FlinterNick

FlinterNick

FlinterNick

45 Cal.

Wall Gun should do it; kidding.

I’ve never hunted wild swine, but I would use buck and ball with a .69 bore or a .75 bore.

Ideally I would want a 1” bore, a shorter wall gun that could be portable would be ideal, but this doesn’t exist.

7. Jan 20, 2020 #27

johnrice

johnrice

johnrice

32 Cal

In one of his Youtube videos, Dave Canterbury said he had either done that, or would do it (can't remember which). I believe the scenario he referred to was hunting with shot and a deer presented a shot opportunity.

Draft saved Draft deleted