• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ball and Patch thickness ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, I'm having a original Austrian made (1840 to 1850) Percussion hunting rifle with a 24“ barrel, 1:48” twist, a bore of .476 / groove .530 (deep radius rifling) Any recommendation, which diameter RB and which thickness of patch I should use ? I try a own made Maxi ball with a Minnie base (.476 /250 grs.) only it don't perform well, any suggestion or hint would be highly appreciated.

sincerely

Willi

From your measurements a 0.465 with a .020 patch.
You say you tried a .476 maxi. How many different powder measurements did you try?
Generally a 1:48 twist shoots maxi pretty good but more of a real bullet better.
I've shot minis from a 1:48 pretty accurately. It's the powder charge you need to find.

Hello, I'm having a original Austrian made (1840 to 1850) Percussion hunting rifle with a 24“ barrel, 1:48” twist, a bore of .476 / groove .530 (deep radius rifling) Any recommendation, which diameter RB and which thickness of patch I should use ? I try a own made Maxi ball with a Minnie base (.476 /250 grs.) only it don't perform well, any suggestion or hint would be highly appreciated.

sincerely

Willi
From the numbers you gave that means the groove depth is .027 per side which is a heck of a trench to fill with a patch or bullet skirt thick enough to keep the gas from blowing past. Might try as thick of a patch as will work then add a cork wad over powder that fills the grooves behind the bullet or patched ball.

With those deep grooves, you will get a lot of blow by with that Maxi-Ball leading to poor accuracy. You will need thick patching and a lot of lube to seal the patched round ball. You might find some benefit in a 54 caliber wad to help seal off that bore with those deep grooves.

Hello,
thanks a lot for all your advise, I try the .464 and .457 RB with a .025 patch and 50 to 55 gr of Swiss No.2 already. The groups are already not really bad, only I expect more from 50 meters distance bench shooting...sometimes I got a 2.5 -3 inch group with, let's say from 7 to 8 shots, out of 10. Only there are always 2 or 3 shots what open this groups up to 5 inch. :( so I may try some felt wads to get a better seal and better groups. (any Powder recommendation ?)

Unfortunately our shooting range (Switzerland) is close till march, because of the Covid19....so, I prepare and let you know how it works out.

Thanks again for your highly appreciate help.

Willi

IMG_8094.jpeg

Thanks, it’s getting much better by using a light oiled felt .45 cal.
Try .50 cal. felt before,
Hello,
thanks a lot for all your advise, I try the .464 and .457 RB with a .025 patch and 50 to 55 gr of Swiss No.2 already. The groups are already not really bad, only I expect more from 50 meters distance bench shooting...sometimes I got a 2.5 -3 inch group with, let's say from 7 to 8 shots, out of 10. Only there are always 2 or 3 shots what open this groups up to 5 inch. :( so I may try some felt wads to get a better seal and better groups. (any Powder recommendation ?)

Unfortunately our shooting range (Switzerland) is close till march, because of the Covid19....so, I prepare and let you know how it works out.

Thanks again for your highly appreciate help.

Willi

only to my surprise the smaller felt produce better groups (also easy to load) sorry that it takes me so long to reply. Regards. Willi

I see that over the past 2 years that @willi has improved his groups.

What did you find out?

I should have suggested weighing the balls and rejecting the underweight or overweight balls. His 20% of the shots that go wide are suggestive of balls that outside of the desired weight for that ball.

Last edited:
I see that over the past 2 years the @willi has improved his groups.

What did you find out?

I should have suggested weighing the balls and rejecting the underweight or overweight balls. His 20% of the shots that go wide are suggestive of balls that outside of the desired weight for that ball.
I try nearly everything and was close to give up on this Rifle. A fellow Shooter on our Range than gave me some of this felts and it becomes better right away….

Using the felt wads to seal off the gas blow-by. That makes sense. @willi, what are the felt wads lubricated with? A soft lube or a hard lube melted into the felt wad?

I'm thrilled to see that you are still out there shooting. Glad to see the improvement. Even happier that we aren't competing on the target range.

Sorry Grenadier, I am not so familiar with the writing on here I shoot because of my age on my knees support the rifle on a sandbag. So this are no offhand shots …most of the time I have at least one or 2 shots a bit off, only now I know it is me and not the Rifle..😉
Anyway I may go to have new glasses soon. Than I let you know how I make it out. Only this can take a while because I ll be not back for shooting my now beloved BP Guns before the middle of September. Best Regard. Willi

Just my opinion but a patched ball of .45 or larger will give better accuracy with a slower twist rate ie.1:66 or even 1:70 and deep square bottom grooves. Radius grooves are okay but I think deep square bottom grooves are more accurate with patched balls. I’m not trying to disparage your rifle, I just don’t think you’re going to get dead center accuracy with those bore/twist/groove depth dimensions.

Sorry Grenadier, I am not so familiar with the writing on here I shoot because of my age on my knees support the rifle on a sandbag. So this are no offhand shots …most of the time I have at least one or 2 shots a bit off, only now I know it is me and not the Rifle..😉
Anyway I may go to have new glasses soon. Than I let you know how I make it out. Only this can take a while because I ll be not back for shooting my now beloved BP Guns before the middle of September. Best Regard. Willi
Shooting off a stable support will lead to the best accuracy on target. I shoot mostly off a rest because of my age too.

Shoot when you can. Shoot when you can best enjoy the experience. I'll be shooting my beloved muzzleloading rifles this weekend.

Latest posts

Back