• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

roundball size and patch thickness

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last year I sent a .429 round ball mould to a member on here. I don't remember who that was now. You might ask a question to the list if anyone have a few .429 roundball they can send to you.
Ohio Rusty ><>

Miroku manufactured and sold under the Ultra Hi brand. It was designed as an entry level, low cost firearm and sold during the American Bicentennial as an occasional shooter and decorative wall hangar. The barrels were generally of decent quality and could be fairly accurate on target. The lock is very simple as it has no internal bridle to support the tumbler and sear lever. These can work fairly well and as @smokeyjoe discovered, a good cleaning and lubricating (oil on the things that turn and grease on the things that slide) seems to have restored the lock to once again set off percussion caps.
That was known as the American 'Buycentennial'. It seemed in every magazine you looked at there was anything and everything for sale with 1776 on it. Import guns sold like hot cakes.
Ohio Rusty >>

Then I sighted down the length of the plate and it is slightly bent inward toward the muzzle end. I reassembled the lock and noticed when the spring was re-installed it slightly cants the tumbler downward again causing it to drag at the bottom. I believe the bent plate is the culprit here....A replacement lock is $50 online....Maybe..
Getting a slight bend out of the lock plate is a pretty easy to accomplish. And one off the internet may bring its own set of problems.

The ridiculously small clearance between hammer and nipple when on half cock plus the light strike problem make me suspicious that the hammer is indexed correctly to the sear spindle. Is that connection secure? There should be a square spindle shank mating to a square hole in the hammer with a tight, non-rotating fit. Is the square hole wallowed out or the spindle rounded over and held in position by screw tension?

if you have any more suggestions please send 'em.
Your right, It's a good looking Wall Hanger. And now when they ask, you can honestly say you've shot it.

The trouble with that lock is simply the inexpensive manufacture of it. A direct replacement of it will be the same.
It's called an "un-bridled" lock. Meaning there is only one support for the tumble rotation, and that's the lock plate itself.
The tolerance between the tumble shaft and lock plate hole it fit's through,, "lack's"(?) the support it needs to function reliably.
With experience you can fiddle with it for better function, but the Ultra-Hi isn't one you want to take to the range for score or Deer hunting.

Hey! Thanks for checking in with us here, Honest. ;)
Looks like you have a sparking interest in this stuff.
Keep reading things, dig in the archives about things that interests you, This place has an encyclopedia of info!
It really doesn't take a lot of time or money to invest in this hobby, and it might become a passion for ya.
✌️

Latest posts

Back