• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Baker rifle by Persersoli. Any news?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a Baker from Loyalist, the barrel was smoothbore and varied in diameter. Was not a problem as I sent it to Bobby Hoyt to barrel for .54 caliber. A little heaver but works fine. Did have to rework the 12 pound trigger
Was that a .54 cal rifled or smooth bore?

Yeah, but Pedersoli will probably use the same cheap-assed 1:48 twist that they ruin every other rifle that should have a 'true' PRB / slow twist barrel .....

Anything else and it would not replicate the Baker rifle.

Imagine the .58cal Springfield as a .45cal. It wouldn't be the .58cal Springfield then, would it?
I do own a 45 caliber Springfield!
After a long conversation with the store owner i was told the previous owner was an nssa shooter. The stock is modified with a pistol grip added. The original lock was worth the $200 i paid.
The rifle shop has parts to build a Baker as “ Rob” did and shoots in his videos. I just ordered the calvary carbine Tuesday.

Well I don't need to buy a replica Baker Iv'e got a real one if much restored & Ive two barrels made for to make up. Im'e thinking more the E I Coy Baker . & toyed with the E I coy Fergusson But there is no event nor reenactments going here Anyway .. I allways thought Parker Hale should have made the Bakers. But they didn't .Rule by accountency & no imagination but, That was Pre' Sharpes 'Series . Then they went skywards in demand . I sought the Armourers job but Bill Whittlam got it you see him & Richard Moore in the films from Turkey . They where allways spot on with kit so why not ?. he told me it was a positive bear to got even basic tools in Turkey ..Orien made the barrels I think there quarter pitch Jerry reffered to them as ''Bloody brutal Baker barrels". They being a one off 3 of his normal line . Fine gentleman is Jerry Cunningham . The other I made a Volunteers Baker years ago ones ordered but for the patrons needs he's better served by a Hawkins Arms NZ taper round barrel that has the 1 in 40" pitch . same outside dims . Shipping them is today the bogey with the post office refuseing to send barrels or guns (Would you Adam & Eve it? )But tis so . Brave new world ? P on it . There might be UPS it goes into Auckland at least maybe Christchurch with prices mentioned Ime easy I don't need a replica No matches or Reenactments here . Ime unlikley to do another Waterloo I camped with the 95th both Richard & Bill where there with no 1 Company & the other less spiffy 2nd Company & a good group of KGL but I did 92nd . Anyway just to add to the mix . If Ime too'creaky' to get into mass production of Bakers & Matchlocks .Mr Spartan I feel for you but like Mr Macawbers fortune Some thing is' Bound to turn up'
Regards to all Rudyard

Those prices for a reasonable replica of ANY flintlock did not exist even ten years ago. I'll put money on Pedersoli's Baker costing north of $2500.
My real Baker a few years ago was 800 USD at current exchange rates. Pretty ratty in the bore and percussioned in Spain in the 19th century but a genuine, if volunteer, one. Bargains are still out there for the observant. The users must have been skinny little chaps to get down to the sights. Pedersoli will have to allow for modern substantially built old chaps in stocking. Even in it’s day troops complained about the lack of drop. Hopefully they will retain the service twist of 1:120. I doubt if many users will copy the normal service use of cartridges as opposed to loose powder and patch.

Harding covers the ammunition in his seminal study of HEIC small arms. I borrowed my copy in the UK via inter library loans and copied the Baker and Brunswick chapters which are most revealing. If your country does a similar loan service then I urge you to avail yourself of it. In the UK put in a request (£12) via your local library. All volumes are available but each is a separate request. Volume IV is the relevant one.

My real Baker a few years ago was 800 USD at current exchange rates. Pretty ratty in the bore and percussioned in Spain in the 19th century but a genuine, if volunteer, one. Bargains are still out there for the observant. The users must have been skinny little chaps to get down to the sights. Pedersoli will have to allow for modern substantially built old chaps in stocking. Even in it’s day troops complained about the lack of drop. Hopefully they will retain the service twist of 1:120. I doubt if many users will copy the normal service use of cartridges as opposed to loose powder and patch.

Harding covers the ammunition in his seminal study of HEIC small arms. I borrowed my copy in the UK via inter library loans and copied the Baker and Brunswick chapters which are most revealing. If your country does a similar loan service then I urge you to avail yourself of it. In the UK put in a request (£12) via your local library. All volumes are available but each is a separate request. Volume IV is the relevant one.
Do you ever shoot yours ? Have you considered returning it to flint operation or how it would change the value? I admit sometimes you have to consider what time period you want the item to represent and how changes done in its life should be left alone.

I have decided to leave it unaltered. Whilst I have no idea of the quality of the drum conversion nor the unique nipple size, it is all part of it’s history during it’s long unknown life in Spain where it was found. The barrel is a strong enough twist one and the lock is a genuine Nock one.

Is there a number built or how many may still exist . The Brown Bess was built for a long time and in comparison , the Baker not so long

Yes. The third and final model was a .65 caliber barrel to shoot a .62 caliber patched bullet from my reading.
One would hope Pedersoli would “follow the history” but they did not specifically mention a caliber. Wonder what model (caliber) is the one they bought to design after. Believe the very first models of the Baker started at .75 like the Brown Bess.
Did the originals shoot a belted ball or was that a later rifle?

Its estimated some 3&a half million India pattern Besses where made not only for British Troops but any nation apposing Napolian . The Baker. is given as 625 cal 7 grouve 1/4 turn in 30 ".
No belted ball . That would be the replacement Brunswick of 1836 or on paper the calibre was larger and its one turn in 30' was intended for the Belted ball.
I have a 24 bore sporting Two Grouve pitch of 1 in 60'' as the plan was popular by Sportsmen for a period after the Govt arm was in service. While the percussion Brunswick was severley critised by some, noteabley Hans Busk as ' an abomination ' it was more accurate than the by his time antiquated Baker. He Busk was pushing the Expanding bullet of the 1853 Enfields. unfairly but this seems lost to later writers who followed Busks predudice . Be that as it may Ime very fond of my old 2 grouve . Bowled a lot of Deer with it .
Rudyard

Back