• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

TRS Baker Rifle kit - can anyone identify this part?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larks

40 Cal
Reaction score
I have this small part that came with my TRS Baker Rifle kit and for the life of me I can’t positively identify where it belongs or what it is - it doesn’t appear to be listed on any of the parts lists for the rifle and I can’t find a definitive lock kit list specifically called a Flat Lock or that matches the number on the parts list below on the TRS web site for this rifle (714)....

Having said that, the parts list on the web site advises "The very sturdy flat lock with beefy internals was used all the way to 1823. The tumbler has a fly so the trigger can be adjusted very light if desired.”
(from here The Rifle Shoppe, Inc. - British Flat Lock Carbine Bore Baker Rifle (714))

Could this be the “fly” and, if so where does it fit? The photo of a lock that was included on the full plan with the kit is illegible (below) and I can’t see anything like it on what I think is a photo of an original Baker Rifle Flat Lock (also below).

This is the part as shipped - ie with the casting sprue not yet cleaned up (until I can determine what it is and just exactly how much to clean up....)

IMG_2347.jpg

IMG_2348.jpg

IMG_2349.jpg

These are the parts that I received with the lock kit:
IMG_2351.jpg

This photocopied photo (as provided by TRS) is the only hint as to how the lock goes together that came with the kit, it is illegible to my eye.

IMG_2352.jpg

This is the only list of parts that I received (and checked) with the kit. There wasn’t a list of lock parts included.

IMG_2350.jpg

These photos below are what was called an “original flat faced Baker lock” from here Searching for the illusive Baker rifle lock - is a “flat faced lock” the same thing as a “flat lock”?

I can not see anything in here that looks like the part in my photos above or that might be whatever the “fly” is that is referenced in the web site parts notes.

Baker rifle lock - original outside.jpg

Baker riflr lock - original inside.jpg

I would ask TRS but they’ve been ghosting me since last September - after kindly promising in July (2020) to get a completed Lock for my Baker Rifle out to me "within the next four weeks" (after mistakenly sending me a Lock "kit" instead of the completed Lock that I’d ordered) they’ve ignored all of my emails since.

The lack of response from TRS itself is both saddening and disappointing and I have finally given up on ever seeing the completed lock from them so I figure I may as well tackle the lock kit build, though I admit that I am nervous about my ability to complete it to the quality that I’d hoped for from TRS and to harden the springs appropriately.

Before I start cleaning up the parts and chopping of the sprue’s I want to make sure that I know exactly what NOT to cut off or file down and identifying this part is the final piece of establishing that.

Thanks Lawrence - now that I Google "Baker Rifle lock fly" I can see that on another forum someone mentions that the tumbler is cast for a fly but in his case the fly wasn’t included, so that seems to answer the question.

I now just need to find a picture of some sort showing where and how it fits.

You’ve got to write to TRS, its the only way to get their attention. I follow up on invoices that are greater than 1 year old. They have a bad habit of doing all invoices at one time.

You’ve got to write to TRS, its the only way to get their attention. I follow up on invoices that are greater than 1 year old. They have a bad habit of doing all invoices at one time.

Thanks Nick, I will do so. I’ve also emailed them to enquire about purchasing a British Heavy Dragoon pistol kit and they’ve not even responded to that.....

Back