• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bacon

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about a portrait of Kevin Bacon made from strips of bacon? 😄
iu

hrt4me That H&A is really nifty. Thanks for the excellent pics. 👍

Too brittle, maybe yes, maybe no.
The photos of frame LOOK like it is malleable(hopefully) cast iron. Hopkins & Allen malleable iron frames were commonly used on pepperbox guns. As the frame in a pepperbox is not under stress from the powder explosion that's not too bad, being in a pepperbox. In a revolver the frame does hold the thing together when fired.
Please bear in mind that in the 19th century there was no way to know if that malleable iron was indeed "malleable" It all depended on how accurate was the chemistry of the casting, and was it heat treated right (about 1750F 24 hours)
Your P.I.T.A. metallurgist. Again.
JC, I for one find your posts interesting, informative and educational. After all, the majority of what we deal with is, well, metal. Learning the science behind the metallurgy of our hobby is a big part of that.
Thank you for your input.

wm

I have fired ~100 round balls in my 1837 Allen & Thurber .32 caliber Pepperbox, albeit with light 15 grain charges... no apparent issues so far!
View attachment 81173
lite gentle loads will never hurt the weapon. remember keep the loads in reason. just enough powder to get the ball down range to the target and punch a hole in the paper target. BTW that is a nice PEPPER BOX.

your gun is definitely a PHOENIX rising from the ashes!! KUDDOS to you!!!

Latest posts

Back