• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Hopkins & Allen 1860

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Greetings all,

Two weeks ago I bought a Uberti Colt 1861 from Taylor's. I showed it to my brother-in-law and it reminded him that he bought one 20 to 30 years ago at a gun show. He couldn't reminder the model or manufacture. He said if he could find it, he would give it to me. He dropped it off this morning. It's a Colt 1860 army. It is unfired and looks brand new. The top of barrel has a single line "Hopkins & Allen Arms Corp NI USA". Under the loading lever it has two lines " Armi San Marco Gardone VT" and " Black Powder Only 44 Cal Made in Italy". The serial number is 55646. So my collection has grown 100% in two weeks. I'm going to buy a Uberti 1851 from Taylor's in the near future. This will put my collection at 3 and that will be it (I hope). I used Google to research it but I can't seem to find much. I would appreciate any info. My guess is that Hopkins & Allen was the distributor and bought it from Armi San Marco. I can find a lot about Armi San Marco but not Hopkins & Allen other than the original one.

Thanks in advance for sharing all your years of knowledge with me.

Mike

Hopkins and Allen were an original gun maker in the mid 1860.

You pistol is probably called a Hopkins and Allen but it's a reproduction of one of their guns.

Taylor's is the distributor.

Pics?

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply. Yes, its a reproduction of a Colt 1860 army made by Armi San Marco. I'm looking for info on why it's marked "Allen & Hopkins". I know they were a manufacture in the late1800's but they never produced anything like this as far as I know. I'm thinking it was a modern distributer that used that name, perhaps in the 80's or 90's. I can't find anything on the web and was just curious.

Thank you.

Mike

In the 70's-80's everyone under the sun was importing copies or somewhat copies of the Colt and Remington revolvers, there is no connection with the Hopkins and Allen of years ago. You have a pair of well made pistols, Enjoy. Hopkins and Allen in the 1970 was just one of the dozens of importers at the time.

I'm going to buy a Uberti 1851 from Taylor's in the near future. This will put my collection at 3 and that will be it (I hope)
Good luck with that. I told myself something similar after buying first an 1861 Navy, then an 1860 Army, just so I would have both .36 and .44 calibers. Somewhere I lost track but that was about 50 revolvers ago. (Yes, that’s five-zero, fifty.) 😬 Did anyone say Revolvers Anonymous?

Happy Monday morning,

I'm listening very carefully about this becoming an addiction. I'm already shopping for my next one (or two). What makes it worst is that I bought a paper cartridge loading kit. It took practice but now I'm really good at making them. Pics below...sorry about my poor photographic ability.

Best Regards to all,

Mike

Attachments

• H&A 1.jpg
    H&A 1.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • H&A 2.jpg
    H&A 2.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • H&A 3.jpg
    H&A 3.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Happy Monday morning,

I'm listening very carefully about this becoming an addiction. I'm already shopping for my next one (or two). What makes it worst is that I bought a paper cartridge loading kit. It took practice but now I'm really good at making them. Pics below...sorry about my poor photographic ability.

Best Regards to all,

Mike
Nice pistol. Hopkins and Allen is the importer. Some people collect repro black powder revolvers for the importer and maker markings. Some maker and importer marks are very rare. They either made very few, were bought out and markings changed, went out of business, moved locations, commemoratives, etc. Some companies back in the heyday were only in existence for a very short time. Through use, neglect, parting out, etc., there are very few good examples of some of them still out there.

Last edited:
Good luck with that. I told myself something similar after buying first an 1861 Navy, then an 1860 Army, just so I would have both .36 and .44 calibers. Somewhere I lost track but that was about 50 revolvers ago. (Yes, that’s five-zero, fifty.) 😬 Did anyone say Revolvers Anonymous?
I took to cataloging my revolters so that I won't wind up buying duplicates, unless it's a good deal of course.

Mike, that's a beautiful revolver, have fun shooting it! My 1860 has become my favorite, there's just something about them. They feel great in hand, point well, shoot straight, what's not to like? Be sure to give us a range report, with pics of course.

Happy Monday morning,

Best Regards to all,

Mike
Wow! Nice revolver. All that color case sure makes a gun look nice. H & A marketted a lot of different guns & then closed them out at real great prices. You have a winner!

Back