• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bacon Grease

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been saving bacon grease from microwaving strips for breakfast. Currently storing in a lidded plastic gallon icecream container. What are some good uses for this product in muzzle loading?

And...Merry Christmas to all of you! You are a valued set of folks in my life.

Dan
Makes great fire starter

Render it by boiling it in water. Freeze it to get the grease to the top. Drain the aster by poking a hole in the grease and let the water get to room temp. Do it a couple of times and salt is gone.so use the baxon grease for whatever.

Clean your gun after shooting with soap and water. Check in a day. Clean again as needed.

I see Poster being advised not to use Bacon Grease as a patch lube due to the salts used to cure bacon. I have no idea how bacon is cured in the U.S.A but here Saltpetre/potassium nitrate is used to cure bacon/ham/salami and such. It`s the same Saltpetre used in making Black Powder. You are putting the same salt`s in the barrel every time you load with Black Powder so what`s the difference, I`m confused.

I remember as a Kid rubbing Potassium Nitrate with water into legs of pork to cure it and a few years back talking to a Butcher who used the same commercial brand Potassium Nitrate for Bacon as I do to Make Black Powder.

I just use Olive Oil for patch lube and don`t intend using anything else.
Nearly all of our supermarket meats are cured or "cured" with sodium nitrate and table salt (pink curing salt).

Last edited:
Been saving bacon grease from microwaving strips for breakfast. Currently storing in a lidded plastic gallon icecream container. What are some good uses for this product in muzzle loading?

And...Merry Christmas to all of you! You are a valued set of folks in my life.

Dan
Shoot a few young, tender squirrels and fry them in said bacon grease. Make a big batch of German tater salad and call me so I can be there when it's ready. I'll bring the amber liquid. 🤤

Is there any other way to fry eggs?

Yup, butter 🧈 😋
think my cholesterol went way up just reading this post
I was just reading today that the cholesterol/heart disease connection has never been "connected". Acceptable scientific papers still refer to it as "The lipid ( cholesterol) HYPOTHESIS" (my upper case).

I would not use bacon grease on my muzzleloaders. The folks who know can debate the types of salts that are in bacon and bacon grease. All I can say is that it tastes salty, and while I have not actually tried it as a gun grease or patch lube, I‘m not willing to take a chance with it, as there are so many other products out there that are known to work well.

I think there was a character in one of William Faulkner’s books or stories who decided to kill a man. He got an old ten-gauge shotgun from somewhere, and the story described how he made a cleaning rod out of cane, cleaned up the gun, and greased it with bacon grease. The next day, the gun looked as if it had been dusted with snuff.

One other thing that has not been addressed is that bacon has to get pretty hot to cook, and I think bacon grease gets overheated in the process. It isn’t just greasy, but is also kind of sticky, and kind of brownish in color. On the other hand, pure lard, as well as beef and mutton tallow, is slick and greasy, and very white. Again, I have not actually experimented with bacon grease in shooting, but I just can’t come up with a good reason to do so.

The question was a good one, though, and led to a fun discussion.

As a post script, I don’t eat bacon much any more, but I have it once in a while and I love it. However, I discovered that there is a special ”bacon cooker” that you use in the microwave. It’s like a hard plastic plate with high, narrow ridges on it, spaced about half an inch apart. You lay a paper towel on it, lay the bacon on the towel, then put another layer or two of paper towel on top. Microwave it on high for about 55 seconds per strip of bacon. You have to experiment a little with the cooking time, but once you get it figured out, the bacon comes out perfect. It cooks a lot faster than in a skillet on the stovetop, and all of the grease ends up in the paper towels. There’s minimal cleanup. However, you still get that bacon aroma wafting through the house and hanging in the air for hours afterward.

Life is good, and it’s even better with bacon.

Notchy Bob

Get Yourself some Good CAST IRON pots & Pans & Start cooking:doh:

+ BACON GREASE = keeps your CI in shape &
" " the FLAVOR of Your Meals = MORE !!!!

Attachments

• th (2).jpg
    th (2).jpg
    5 KB · Views: 0
  • th (3).jpg
    th (3).jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back