• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

at it again- forged a steel striker

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

armymedic.2

45 Cal.
Reaction score
so i am trying to outfit myself with things i don't have and have wanted. a firemaking kit was on the list ASAP. I made some charcloth out of old blue jeans i had cut up to pattern my leggings anyway, and then got to work with the steel.

that same old plow coil spring was layin around, figuring it was 1080 i grabbed it and got to heating, cutting half of it off on the hot hardy.

photobucket-44785-1357251337901.jpg

i straightened it and got it to shape. pretty quickly, but i couldn't take too many pics, as this steel is only needing like a ten second heat, and cools very quickly as well. i even looked up an 18th century pic so i knew what to shape it like, hc and all!.....i think

photobucket-1043-1357251362513.jpg

when it was cool enough to touch i brought it inside and shined up the striking face on the belt sander quick. less than a minute and i was done, as i took extra care to keep hammer blows consistent on the strike face

photobucket-71528-1357251393393.jpg

then i heated it to cherry red, and quenched it immediately in room temp water, just the strinking face. when the red color left the rolls outside of the water i submerged the whole thing and swished it around until it was cool to the touch. this is it right out of the quench.

photobucket-45821-1357251415492.jpg

never having made fire before with steel (just fire piston), i had to try it out. in less than a minute i had a glowing ball of joy.

photobucket-6440-1357251642958.jpg

and now i finally have a use for that tobacco tin i bought....only to find they tell me not to let my tobacco touch the metal! ahhh well, neat fire starter tin anyway. the charcloth is under the buckskin

photobucket-54814-1357253241836.jpg

thanks for lookin, and critiques are welcome. i did find that it realllllyyyyyy matters how sharp the flint is. no sparks here, hit it here, viola!

Looks good armymedic.2, for me they seem to put out better sparks if i make them a little thicker than a 1/8 of an inch thick.

Very nice!! :thumbsup: I would make a bunch and take'em to a Rondy and make a little bit of spending cash.

thanks gents. not much profit to be made there, as this one took me 2 hours start to finish! lol. and a $7 bag of charcoal. ahhhhhh learning

quick vid of it in action, fun! click the pic

DSCN1882_zps2b600cfd.jpg

A thin edge will have better sparks even with a dull flint. Three strokes or less you should have the char glowing, if its top quality char.

Nice video :thumbsup:

ahhh, thought you were goin the other way ha! funny idda thought more surface area the better, just like a gun lock.

ill try makin a skinnier one and see what happens, but i just made this one a touch thicker thinking you meant go fatter, and it really sends the sparks flying.

here's what the forge birthed tonight. 'nother striker and more work on valentines day present.

photobucket-13134-1357342604362.jpg

this ornamental work is tough......might take a few runs at it before im liking it too much.

PIC IS UPSIDE-DOWN. tilt yer head like so, and stick your tongue out a touch while bitin' it......better?

Oh wow.........took some hours without seein my project. But now i see exactly what i hate about the valentines day project so far.,
Ill be back with a less " anatomical" design :rotf:

One of the best vids on the subject i ever saw.That was great!Definatley going to get a stiker now.

I was thinking the same myself... more surface area = better sparks. shows how much I know!

I, apparently, have huge hands cuz every striker I've had was so small I can barely fit my hand in it! same with knives...I have a rule that a knife handle should project approx. 1 inch from your palm,(dexterity reasons) which for me, means the handle has to be 5 - 5 1/2" seems like thats impossible to find anymore! everyone makes 'em 4 or so inches! glad to see someone making things for the in-average types for once! :grin:

Back