• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Are you going to shoot??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will continue shoot as fortunate to have private places to do so. Those who must use public areas/ranges may find themselves shooying less {or not at all} due to factors like shortages, costs, restrictions and surveilance fear increase. From what i gather from what is now called "empty gunshop shelf talk" most are down to conserving "supplies" (including Black Powder) for self defense. I have noticed that ML interest is really increasing along with prices. The size of the muzzleloading section at the NSSF ShotShow has been slowly shrinking over the last 3 decades. May be a whole new ballgame this next January -- that is IF theres a show. Will miss the guys from DGW, Pietta and Umberti if that happens. Just the quality and fit of the custom made suits of latter 2 are amazing.

Be loud and proud if you want, but in these times of firearms theft and even robbery, I’ll keep a low profile. That means not advertising that I own them.

Not trying to start a political argument, but the fact remains that guns and ammo are a hot , easily moved item right now. Which means more criminals will take the risk against the penalties involved to steal and sell them. When a drug deprived idiot gets desperate, they do desperate things. I’d rather not be in harms way.

I may be optimistic, but I cant say that Washington or any political party has ANYTHING to do with the current shortages. Hoarder's and Prepper's and those using the panic to line their pockets are making a bad situation much worse.

Everyone sitting at home during the quarantine reading about Doomsday Scenarios online went out and bought anything that shoots. To the tune of over 4 million new shooters. My preppy white collar cousin is one of them. He bought the latest whiz-bang "Two Kilometer rifle" and over $6000 in ammo, and has yet to run a single shot thru it! I hope all the ammo he bought shoots to his satisfaction. It should, its all match grade!

Its the perfect storm for anything firearm related. Panic on the internets cause millions of new gun owners, who all need ammo to fight off the hoards who will be after their beans and rice. Then throw in a once in a lifetime (I pray) pandemic that shut down production that is just now back at a snails pace. Let's face it, there's a much bigger demand for cartridge ammo then percussion caps, so the emphasis is on cartridge ammo, now.

I don't see where Fear-mongering will do anything but cause already nervous shooters to order a huge batch of something not obtainable and overpriced. I've tried to hold my tongue to the many like-minded threads on this site, but enough guys.

Oh, the answer is Damn Right I'm shooting as much as possible.
In my opinion, this is a post full of common sense and identifies the problem correctly. I plan on shooting, moderately and conservatively.

I am not paranoid, but I am cautious and conservative in my approach to shooting under current conditions.
My black powder muzzleloaders should get me through the shortages because I have plenty of black powder to keep me active.
I have read in Gun publications (for what it's worth) comments from gun, ammo, and supplies manufacturers saying that they are producing at the peak of their capacity and are still a year or so from catching up to demand. I base my activities on that. My 9 mm ammo is going to have to last for a year (I don't reload 9 mm). My 45 ammo will have to be nursed along for that same period. I reload the 45 ACP and 45 Colt, but my smokeless powder is almost gone.
Availability and cost of ammo are affecting a close relative who is a police officer. I used to buy a case of 1000 rounds for $180-200, take 200 for myself and give the rest to this relative. At over $600 per 1000, now, this policeman has had to cut back on practice shooting. The department gives its officers duty ammo, but you are on your own for practice.
This police relative has told my wife and me NOT to put any police support stickers on the car. It invites car damage. I don't put any political bumper stickers on my car. Why? It won't change anyone's mind. I believe that slogans like those on bumper stickers trivialize the theme of the bumper sticker.
Ron

now I like that gun, with a cannon muzzle. is it an INDIAN made gun? it look's simular to one that I have? you should rely think about getting that powder horn off of your belly, an aren't spark is all that it takes? what caliber is it? mine is 75, CAL, smooth, and has a trigger, not the tiller. I like mine and shoot it often.
It's from Veteran Arms, so I judge it is Indian.
As for the horn, I just have enough to prime with in it.

I have a match lock, one with a tiller and one with a trigger and guard.

And yesterday my musket rest came. I got it for historical interest. It turns out that I shot the matchlock pretty well offhand.
So if there was a matchlock oompetition shoot near you, say within 100 miles, would you attend? 200 miles? 400?

Interesting. I was born in AZ and have lived here all my 50 years and I've never heard of Bouse. I had to look it up. 😄 I've been through Quartzsite a few times, and travelled the old highway that goes from there, passes by Salome, and ends up in Wickenburg , but I never knew about Bouse. I've never been to a rondy, but I frequently hear they were good places to pick up supplies pre-internet and remain so today, so if internet sales go away, that might be a good option to keep stocked up.

To the question at hand, it's hard to say. We just don't know if the next few years will bring a few idiotic but severely watered down regulations upon us or whether the current crew in DC will get everything they want and recreational shooting in America will be largely a thing of the past. A few months ago, I'd have said the latter was an impossibility, but now we've seen that virtually anything is possible, that nearly any nightmarish scenario could actually come to pass. I'd say not to give up, but be cautious and plan ahead, just in case.
I have never thought that curtailment of our sport was “ impossible “.
Never underestimate those behind efforts to cause just that.
It is unlikely that we will ever return to the America of a couple of years ago. The people that want to ban or severely restrict our sport and others related to it mean business this time, and they have the power to make it stick.

I predict smaller calibers of .40 and others will become very popular again.

Eterry, I have read your comment and posted above in reference to smoothshooter sure there are some who accumulates need items I would not call it hoarding, just getting ready for what's to perhaps come, we all have our opinions and beliefs but as stated things will never return to the so called good old days, I find it un-believable that given the current situation and the information on the news casts, social media and just fellow shooters of all kinds, some think it is being hoarded, Just last year alone the number of weapons bought was astronomical, lets say you go buy a weapon either black powder or a un-mentionable sure you need the fixings to make it go bang, the shops in my area will only allow one box of ammo, or one lb. of black powder, if they have it, I re-load for un-mentionable for both target shooting and some hunting , I have had just the bullets on back order since last February, its not there and it is not going to be there, my advice is if you find it buy it and buy as much as you can. And stay quiet about it.

Well I'm not too sure the idea that they will "never use" stuff is valid. November of 2019 if you or I had suggested a health care panic would shut down the national economy for a full year...., folks would've thought we were joshin' or discussing a bad science fiction scenario. Today it's actual recent history.

There seems to be a underlying theme that "preppers" somehow are all part of The Lone Survivor in The Personal Fortress, school of thought. There are actually several types. "Lone Survivor/Personal Fortress" merely means they are making themselves into future targets, imho.

In fact COVID has vindicated me with my friends who once poked fun at me for having some supplies set aside. 😛 I put stuff aside decades ago after independent conversations with power grid engineers, about the likelihood of something happening to the grid and the right combination of factors causing the grid to stay "down" for 30 or more days. This was prior to Y2K, and the conversations started with, "Don't worry about Y2K, worry about this scenario...,"

From my viewpoint, any "prepper" who does not own and know how to skillfully use a flintlock, isn't a proper prepper.

The people that are proper preppers are prepared to pop game with black powder projectiles, saving the modern stuff for pernicious predatory people posing a probable lethal force predicament. ;)

AS for the OP..., this silliness is just about over. The president said that 300,000,000 doses will have been doled out by May, and since none of those doses are for kids, AND since kids don't need doses, that covers the country.

View attachment 68350

LD

This crisis and ammo shortage will not end if and when the virus does.
The foreseeable future will be a series of crises, one after the other, some simultaneously. We are destined to see things those of us who are over 40 hoped we would never see.

Last edited by a moderator:
A prudent person does not display gun related stickers on their vehicle, particularly if they live in an anti-gun area or ever travel to one. Displaying political stickers showing support for conservative candidates is iffy in many areas too.
No one has to take my advice, of course, but be prepared to spend money that could have been better spent on guns and ammo at the body shop to pay for paint repairs when someone keys the side of your vehicle in a parking lot somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just finished shooting at the Bouse Hills Rendezvous in Arizona. Was taking stock of our supplies afterwards and it got me to thinking about upcoming summer rondys and club shoots. My wife and I both shoot rifle and pistol at these events. Even with reduced powder loads for just killing paper, an outing can deplete your lead/powder/caps by upwards of 100 shots per shooter.
So, in the current state of our vendors, is anyone thinking about not shooting these types of events this year? I'm torn personally. We love the shooting and camaraderie of BP events. I feel that if we stop enjoying our shooting sports and go into "chicken little" mode, then the Evil Empire will have won without even attempting to come after our guns. we will have voluntarily relegated them to mantle pieces. I spend a lot of time in the hills these days and it's rare to hear a gunshot.....

Your thoughts??
Have stopped all suppository gun shooting indefinitely. That includes practice with CCW guns.
Am doing BP ONLY. Moving at least one super-reliable BP revolver into the CCW rotation.

What percentage of people are laid off?

If you are asking about the labor force, then I really have no idea, not being part of it. But all indoor and outdoor sports - excepting certain international competitions - athletics, soccer, rugby - that kind of thing, have been banned since early October. Oh, did I mention glof? Those folks who play glof-stick are somehow exempt from the plague that the bat/pangolin-eating chinese sent us, and have been cluttering up the glof-bat playing places all the time we were huddled in our mud huts, and occasionally dying.

However, there IS some good news - THIS email came this morning from our gun club secretary -

Dear Member -

In accordance with the government ‘roadmap’ and the NRA, Barnwell Range will reopen on Monday 29th March with Covid measures in place and going forward run a normal calendar at Barnwell.

Oundle Indoor Range will not open until September as it cannot under current guidelines be opened until 17th May by which time we would be outside at Barnwell in the evenings. Evening members can shoot in April at Barnwell at any session and then revert to their evening membership in May.

.22 competition shooters will be shooting at Barnwell with a 4pm start on Mondays & Wednesdays. There will be no Tuesday and Friday evening session at Barnwell until May.

Archery will run on the 3rd Sunday of the month.

Barnwell Range is closed on Good Friday but there will be a 9.30am-1pm session on Easter Monday.

The club room will not reopen until all social distancing measures are removed which is currently planned for June 21st.

All being well guest days should start again in July.

You will not be able to shoot at ORPC after the 31st March if you have not renewed your membership.

Kind regards

SJ - Club Secretary

Back