• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Are you going to shoot??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are having this discussion at our club. The thing that seems to have caught out many of us is lack of percussion caps. I have enough to get thru the summer shoots but that will be it. I have read that small pistol primers can be used if you remove the anvil. I’m going to try that for our shoot the end of the month.
I agree with Appalachian Hunter, the most important thing is to get involved and vote and urge others to vote in 2022.
I think some of the fix here, to keep people shooting, is with the clubs running the shoots. Cartridge shooters, especially pistols, have been dealing with limited supplies for a while. The clubs that I work with to design stages for and run matches have focused on reducing the round count. Tougher shots, more movement between shooting positions, but less rounds per stage. I'm sure something along this principle can be done for muzzleloading shoots if clubs want to keep attendance up, and people want to keep shooting.

Good luck on the small pistol primer experiment. As mentioned, they are ridiculously hard to get, when found there has been price gouging and even when not gouging, most places selling them are limiting the quantity one can buy.

This past Friday and Saturday there was a "rumor" that the ammo truck had been there and that there was pistol ammo and primers in stock. Over am hour before opening the line of folks waiting and hoping was around the building.
If your experiment doesn't work, I'll trade you caps for primers, lol.

I shoot flintlocks and buy powder even when I don't need it. I also don't shoot enough, so should be good for a while.

I saw these at the dollar store and was thinkin' View attachment 68160
Take the paper circle out with a toothpick. Gently. Put some FFFF black powder or the BP dust from the bottom of the can. in on top of the small charge thats in there and seal with some sort of binder. I used hairspray, but it does not last. Not much will stick to that type of plastic. I hear Duco cement mixed with acetone is good. They work very well, but are hard on the nipples i think. The hammer can cut thru the plastic, especially if it has a strong mainspring. I use an empty small pistol primer cap soldered to a bit of wire for the black powder. Time consuming, but very cheap and effective. Priming the nipple will also work without adding powder to the cap

I saw these at the dollar store and was thinkin' View attachment 68160

This type of cap is apparently used in certain parts of Africa in locally made "Dane" guns that shoot BP for both hunting and self defense. I believe toy caps are quite corrosive and they obviously aren't as reliable as proper percussion caps, but they can work in a last-ditch capacity. :dunno:

We are likely better off than these smokeless dudes. Preppers don't plan to protect homes with flintlocks. They spend millions on stuff they'll never use. We USE our stuff and represent a rather small niche.

Toot one does not make rocks there was a certain fellow many many years ago that took care of that for us.
yes I have herd that he hasn't made any of them for 300.00.000.OOO, YRS AGO. he was very busy and moved onto the rest of the task of making the earth.

We are likely better off than these smokeless dudes. Preppers don't plan to protect homes with flintlocks. They spend millions on stuff they'll never use. We USE our stuff and represent a rather small niche.

Well I'm not too sure the idea that they will "never use" stuff is valid. November of 2019 if you or I had suggested a health care panic would shut down the national economy for a full year...., folks would've thought we were joshin' or discussing a bad science fiction scenario. Today it's actual recent history.

There seems to be a underlying theme that "preppers" somehow are all part of The Lone Survivor in The Personal Fortress, school of thought. There are actually several types. "Lone Survivor/Personal Fortress" merely means they are making themselves into future targets, imho.

In fact COVID has vindicated me with my friends who once poked fun at me for having some supplies set aside. 😛 I put stuff aside decades ago after independent conversations with power grid engineers, about the likelihood of something happening to the grid and the right combination of factors causing the grid to stay "down" for 30 or more days. This was prior to Y2K, and the conversations started with, "Don't worry about Y2K, worry about this scenario...,"

From my viewpoint, any "prepper" who does not own and know how to skillfully use a flintlock, isn't a proper prepper.

The people that are proper preppers are prepared to pop game with black powder projectiles, saving the modern stuff for pernicious predatory people posing a probable lethal force predicament. ;)

AS for the OP..., this silliness is just about over. The president said that 300,000,000 doses will have been doled out by May, and since none of those doses are for kids, AND since kids don't need doses, that covers the country.

Keep Calm.JPG

LD

I hope you are correct about the end being in sight, but given current situations I would not bet on it. I do not consider my self a prepper but am well prepared for issues that may, could, will manifest themselves, also have a good network of like minded friends there is the answer, One person alone has no chance in a bad situation but a few together willing to make sacrifices for lets say the team is a force to be reckoned with, Think military special forces teams. Never stay static and constantly train, prepare, and anticipate. Now is the time to develop the mental mind set of when this happens this is what I will do, actually it should of been developed long ago. If you set on your butt and wait with the mind set I will deal with it when it happens I put you in the classification of prey. Yes Dave your keep calm and carry on is good advice, the part that is not there is when the s@@@ hits the fan be the wolf not a sheep. As I said if you find it buy it, keep your mouth shut to the outsiders pass the info. on to your network partners. Learn to do with less and make due with things most folks would never think of.

I live in a state with few people and an enormous wilderness covering maybe 4/5 of the state. I do have defense capabilities but if everything goes to seed it will be the luck of the draw for us. I'm currently separated from most of my stuff and hope to remedy that eventually. But I do have what I need for the time being. And I will not live in fear, I've been trained most of my 74 years not to. I mostly shoot the little calibers, .32/.36/.40 not just for the economy but also for the enjoyment . I have enough to think about already, and no time to speculate on disaster.

For those of you that shoot at public ranges- COVER your license plates! Criminals may find your address and break in. Report any suspicious persons “hanging around “. This happened to a friend.

People are watching. My other friend had a huge gun safe delivered. Many passers by saw it being unloaded from the truck. Robbed two days later.

For those of you that shoot at public ranges- COVER your license plates! Criminals may find your address and break in. Report any suspicious persons “hanging around “. This happened to a friend.
In some states like CALIFORNIA the cops and doj have been reported videoing plates at in and out of state gun shows, ranges and LGS's.

Back