• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Are you going to shoot??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just finished shooting at the Bouse Hills Rendezvous in Arizona. Was taking stock of our supplies afterwards and it got me to thinking about upcoming summer rondys and club shoots. My wife and I both shoot rifle and pistol at these events. Even with reduced powder loads for just killing paper, an outing can deplete your lead/powder/caps by upwards of 100 shots per shooter.
So, in the current state of our vendors, is anyone thinking about not shooting these types of events this year? I'm torn personally. We love the shooting and camaraderie of BP events. I feel that if we stop enjoying our shooting sports and go into "chicken little" mode, then the Evil Empire will have won without even attempting to come after our guns. we will have voluntarily relegated them to mantle pieces. I spend a lot of time in the hills these days and it's rare to hear a gunshot.....

Your thoughts??

Interesting. I was born in AZ and have lived here all my 50 years and I've never heard of Bouse. I had to look it up. 😄 I've been through Quartzsite a few times, and travelled the old highway that goes from there, passes by Salome, and ends up in Wickenburg , but I never knew about Bouse. I've never been to a rondy, but I frequently hear they were good places to pick up supplies pre-internet and remain so today, so if internet sales go away, that might be a good option to keep stocked up.

To the question at hand, it's hard to say. We just don't know if the next few years will bring a few idiotic but severely watered down regulations upon us or whether the current crew in DC will get everything they want and recreational shooting in America will be largely a thing of the past. A few months ago, I'd have said the latter was an impossibility, but now we've seen that virtually anything is possible, that nearly any nightmarish scenario could actually come to pass. I'd say not to give up, but be cautious and plan ahead, just in case.

Shoot, and be on the look for more supplies there are there in very limited quantities you just have to find them, I am a shooter and have been my whole life it is my passion and I be damned if I will let a bunch of idiots who know nothing but to feather their own agenda stop me, think outside the box what used to work is drying up so find another way to support your hobby, net work with other shooters, trade, barter, do what ever it takes. But most importantly vote in 2022

We are having this discussion at our club. The thing that seems to have caught out many of us is lack of percussion caps. I have enough to get thru the summer shoots but that will be it. I have read that small pistol primers can be used if you remove the anvil. I’m going to try that for our shoot the end of the month.
I agree with Appalachian Hunter, the most important thing is to get involved and vote and urge others to vote in 2022.

Just finished shooting at the Bouse Hills Rendezvous in Arizona. Was taking stock of our supplies afterwards and it got me to thinking about upcoming summer rondys and club shoots. My wife and I both shoot rifle and pistol at these events. Even with reduced powder loads for just killing paper, an outing can deplete your lead/powder/caps by upwards of 100 shots per shooter.
So, in the current state of our vendors, is anyone thinking about not shooting these types of events this year? I'm torn personally. We love the shooting and camaraderie of BP events. I feel that if we stop enjoying our shooting sports and go into "chicken little" mode, then the Evil Empire will have won without even attempting to come after our guns. we will have voluntarily relegated them to mantle pieces. I spend a lot of time in the hills these days and it's rare to hear a gunshot.....

Your thoughts??
Shooting is a diminishing skill...use it or loose it. I haven't shot with any regularity in about a year and my current shooting abilities testify to my loss of skill.

I'll be shooting...

TG, Just a note small pistol primers are harder to find than percussion caps, as to removing the anvils be careful and wear gloves and safety glasses, if you do this let us know how it works, Thinking out side the box is a good thing. Zonie is going to have kittens but these type issues especially at this time need to be discussed with in reason, times are changing and if we do not stray a bit nothing will be accomplished to keep the old guns shooting, just find a place and hang them over the fire place my butt, look , listen and try new ideals keep them shooting.

I personally am well supplied due to not shooting the last two years due to back surgery and events being canceled. I just wonder if scheduled events will be held. If they have them, I will be there and shooting.

We are having this discussion at our club. The thing that seems to have caught out many of us is lack of percussion caps. I have enough to get thru the summer shoots but that will be it. I have read that small pistol primers can be used if you remove the anvil. I’m going to try that for our shoot the end of the month.
I agree with Appalachian Hunter, the most important thing is to get involved and vote and urge others to vote in 2022.
I would be leary of messing with primers like that, but please do let us know how that works. Perhaps think about a Flintlock or ever a matchbook. Sure hope things get better soon.

Now that the snow's melted and I got a few outdoor chores caught up today I plan on dragging a few shootin' irons out to the picnic table tomorrow and making some smoke and a few of those 6 sided bullet holes too o_O It doesn't take as many rounds down range of Holy Black to scratch my itch as it did in my previous smokeless life.

Shoot, in moderation. Practice your hawk and knife skills. Pray that this shortage nonsense will ease as the effects of covid ease. In the long term, everything changes or passes

I saw these at the dollar store and was thinkin'
20200918_094913.jpg

Oh I'm shootin'.. I just got 5 lbs. of Goex, 2 lbs. 777, still got 1 lb. of Pyrodex (Gasp!😱 ) at least 1,200 caps, and more lead than I can handle.

I unfortunately missed shooting in the first club match of the year this weekend, but I'm ready for all the upcoming matches. I practice at the BP club when I can, plus I have woods behind my house and go out there 2 or 3 times a week to take a few shots, just to smell some smoke, take in the scenery and clear my mind.

This has really been a wake up call to all of us to be a little more prepared.

I may be optimistic, but I cant say that Washington or any political party has ANYTHING to do with the current shortages. Hoarder's and Prepper's and those using the panic to line their pockets are making a bad situation much worse.

Everyone sitting at home during the quarantine reading about Doomsday Scenarios online went out and bought anything that shoots. To the tune of over 4 million new shooters. My preppy white collar cousin is one of them. He bought the latest whiz-bang "Two Kilometer rifle" and over $6000 in ammo, and has yet to run a single shot thru it! I hope all the ammo he bought shoots to his satisfaction. It should, its all match grade!

Its the perfect storm for anything firearm related. Panic on the internets cause millions of new gun owners, who all need ammo to fight off the hoards who will be after their beans and rice. Then throw in a once in a lifetime (I pray) pandemic that shut down production that is just now back at a snails pace. Let's face it, there's a much bigger demand for cartridge ammo then percussion caps, so the emphasis is on cartridge ammo, now.

I don't see where Fear-mongering will do anything but cause already nervous shooters to order a huge batch of something not obtainable and overpriced. I've tried to hold my tongue to the many like-minded threads on this site, but enough guys.

Oh, the answer is Damn Right I'm shooting as much as possible.

Last edited:
Back