• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anyone winter camping?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A thought for winter campers: Wet wool can still keep you warm. Wet down? Not so much.

Insulation under your bed in winter camp is essential. No amount of covers over you helps if you are not insulated from freezing temperature below you.

Try to empty your bladder just before bed.

If you need a flashlight keep it on the warm side of your clothing when not in use. Or under the covers with you when sleeping. Ditto if you carry a cel phone.

I like to make a small Thermos of coffee before bed. Keep it under cover with me for first thing in the AM. Keep my socks under the covers for morning too.

Wet is survivable. Cold is survivable. Cold and wet not so much so.

Be sure not to forget to take a hand-held flashlight to camp.
The light in the camping is not needed for luxury but to move comfortably and even survive. The flashlight will help in unforeseen situations and help you cope with everyday situations. Choosing a mobile light source is necessary, so it does not fail at a difficult moment. This model of a flashlight from Amazon has never failed me https://www.amazon.com/Vont-Flashlight-Flashlights-Water-Resistant-Accessories/dp/B089T8HDBV. Very reliable thing: durable, moisture-resistant, and powerful.

At 70 years old and arthritic NO. Our son and nephew thinks its cool [pun intended] to camp rabbit [snowshoe kind] hunting in March. Can be 30-40 below.

At one time at their age, I and my nephews felt the same. As kids mine and the grandnephews and nieces remember very cold days hunting them and grouse what we got plus hot dogs cooked over a fire on the trail.

My son and grandkids now have girls and boys of their own. They prefer ice fishing and some hunting on weekends while I and nephews try to get a few hares.

Even at 78, sometimes I go camping in the snow. Started about 12 y.o., with the Boy Scouts. Troop leader was a Marine Col., and he would take us from Falls Church, VA, to the Shenandoah Mountains, 2 boys to a pup tent. Scoutmaster taught us much about camping in snow or rain.
Always twice as much under you as over you. Wool keeps you warmest. A small fire you can crouch over, get very close to, will warm you better than a large fire.
Two winters ago, here all being new to me, my Service Dog and I camped in the back yard. Didn't go inside the house for 4 days. Even a couple of my cats joined us! Sunny (my Service Dog) loves to make snow-doggie angels, had to brush her off before I let her back in the tent!

If the mast crop is any indication, the upcoming winter could be a whopper! It's been a long time since I've seen this many butternuts, acorns, etc. on the ground. We lost most of our potential apple crop this spring with a late frost but the animals are benefiting now from all the nuts that have taken their place.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

If the mast crop is any indication, the upcoming winter could be a whopper! It's been a long time since I've seen this many butternuts, acorns, etc. on the ground.
We've had a lot more acorns this year than past years, too, in SE Texas.

On tv, they're already speculating about the power grid in Texas, and whether it will be sufficient this Winter, or will we have another disaster.

I wish us all luck!

2 years ago I kept trying to take our scout troop camping and it kept canceling. Finally I said we are going no matter what. We did in the snow and 5 degrees that night. I did it in my hammock. I asked what the boys were cooking and told them to bring the cast iron Dutch oven..they said they thought the aluminum pot would be easier....I let them learn. They will take a Dutch oven next time. We went on a 7 mile hike at 15 degrees. They learned fast how layering pays off. We all had 45-55 lb packs. Half way through we were just in long sleeved shirts . Was a great time. My only problem with cold weather is my hands. I must have frost bitten them once cause they are in PAIN when it gets near freezing.

Sleeping accommodations on the weekend, nothing but the finest hotels....climate controlled (by mother nature) rooms, and if you are prone to falling out of bed....good news, you're already on the ground. :)
image0 - 2023-11-13T141221.900.jpeg

Perhaps a bit off the topic but still connected, has anyone heard of Panther Primitive tents closing up shop come February. A camping Buddie sent me a text stating he heard this.

Latest posts

Back