• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

anyone make a peep/ghost ring to fit your flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
YES

Well a ghost-ring really isn't correct but I've used a 3/4" Satin Brass Corner Brace held in place by the tang screw. You can use it as-is, or you can get the 1" version, and cut it down to remove the vertical hole portion, then drill a smaller, lower hole in the remaining brass...

Nice thing is you can remove it if you want to shoot in an event prohibiting rear sights on smooth bores.... I like to use the factory hole "as is" on a bess. For a rifle I cut down the larger size to make a peep...allows me to choose the size of the peep hole too.

LD

Yes. Seem's you could just take a flat piece of brass (thickness of your preference) bend it to "fit" the tang, and place your peep hole where you believe it should be.

Davemuzz said:
Yes. Seem's you could just take a flat piece of brass (thickness of your preference) bend it to "fit" the tang, and place your peep hole where you believe it should be.

Yep. And, I've got some laying around I bought from a knife maker who went out of business.

Wow! Now that is a rust brown finish. Looks like it was left out behind the barn for about 10 years. I like it.

That's an original with about 180 plus years on it some ... not so kind.
Not mine btw.

Sorry about that 54ball,
I thought someone got carried away with browning and forgot about it.
No assault intended.
So that is really a peep ORIGINALReally nice to see, especially to quiet the HC police.
Fred

shunka said:
If you examine the Johnson Peep site seen here
https://www.muzzleloaderbuilderssupply.com/mbs3cart/agora.cgi?next=25&product=Sights

you can get an idea of what can be done that still looks good.

or you can make a "lollipop peep" out of a thumbscrew and drill and tap your tang. These were actually in use on quite a few flint rifles back in Europe ...

yhs
shunka

That's a nice looking peep sight. When mounted as a peep sight should be.....(as close to the eye as practical)......it would be very functional.

In looking at the construction, aside from the scrolling, it would appear to be something the average guy could make.

Nice!! I like it!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Davemuzz said:
shunka said:
If you examine the Johnson Peep site seen here
https://www.muzzleloaderbuilderssupply.com/mbs3cart/agora.cgi?next=25&product=Sights

you can get an idea of what can be done that still looks good.

or you can make a "lollipop peep" out of a thumbscrew and drill and tap your tang. These were actually in use on quite a few flint rifles back in Europe ...

yhs
shunka

That's a nice looking peep sight. When mounted as a peep sight should be.....(as close to the eye as practical)......it would be very functional.

In looking at the construction, aside from the scrolling, it would appear to be something the average guy could make.

Nice!! I like it!!

The rifle Dave Person is building for my right now will have a Johnson peeper on it to accommodate my old eyes. It will also have a Lyman globe on the front which, I'm sure, will do nothing to enhance the beauty of the rifle. :(

I made a couple of these for my hunting rifles. Sure took care of my old eyes. At least for awhile.
SS850089_1024x768.jpg

Darkhorse said:
I made a couple of these for my hunting rifles. Sure took care of my old eyes. At least for awhile.
SS850089_1024x768.jpg

that is a well-done low profile and unobtrusive peep!

I was inspired by the johnson sight and this cva mountain rifle sight.

cva-mountainrifle-11.jpg

I took a 6" or so length of 1/8" x 1/2" steel bar stock, pointed the front, dished out the sides, and bent the back 3/4 inch vertical. Then split the vertical and forged it into a full buckhorn.
The fine notch makes a great "normal" sight and the full buckhorn is an ideal ghost ring.

One can make it as long as they need to extend from the existing rear sight dovetail, and do any
manner of decoration such as "knife jimping" or any other decoration they care for

Once one hits "bifoculs" we need all the help we can get.

yhs
shunka

Hi,
At the Muzzleloaders Supply site on the last page item # 35014 is a blank rear sight, no "V" grouve, just a blank steel wall.
It would be easy to drill a small hole, and make an appropriate rear sight.
But it is hard to beat Darkhorse's sight
Fred

That's a nice sight on a nice rifle. :thumbsup:

Slightly off topic: In the Historic Arkansas Museum a/k/a HAM, there is a "Masonic" rifle on display. It is a beautiful flinter with various Masonic inlays. The info card says it has a "hidden" rear sight. I have viewed that rifle several times and have never been able to figure out where that sight is. http://www.historicarkansas.org/collections/flintlock-rifle

Mine is adjustable for elevation if needed, but is initially screwed down to contact the tang to get it low to the bore. Sighting in is by the front sight. I made new ones to be sure the post was high enough to file down, windage is by moving the front sight.
I had got to the point where I couldn't see well enough to shoot. I had been thinking of this for awhile and finally did it. Now I'm pretty accurate again. Last season I got an 8 point, a doe, and in the spring got a turkey gobbler w/11" beard.
It mounts by a 8/32 threaded shaft, I drilled and tapped the hole at an angle through the tang so it would travel straight up and down and be on the same plane as the front sight.
It is close to the eye as it's mounted just behind the breech plug and ahead of the tang bolt.
This is my first target shot with the peep.
CCI03062017_0001_514x800.jpg

This the new sight before filing down.
SS850040_800x600.jpg

Back