• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anyone here ever use a lager bore ML for small game hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always thought you could shoot almost anything with anything...
For example, if you find yourself face to face with a not-too-mean or too-angry squirrel you can always shoot it with a .54 caliber..... but don't miss because when a squirrel is angry, it can be very mean, he haves teeth and it runs fast...
Do you run fast? ;)
At age 75 I do not run at all.

You would be a rare bird indeed if your depth of focus allowed a sharp image of both front and rear sights.
I don't think it is supposed to be as fuzzy as it is , however!

As for running...even in my prime in the USMC, I had one speed, with or without pack whether in boots or running shoes. Some people are built to run, others to stand and fight.

Definitely gave me incentive to become a good shot as I knew I would never be able to outrun anything in a speed contest.

FYes! Half of my deer load is still dead on at 25 yards. Aim for the front half of the squirrel if its too far away for a head shot.

736AD4CA-0D5D-4F6D-9DEF-6622A99D724C.jpeg

16 gauge smoothbore

It shoots big balls too…

12BF3BA8-9939-40B8-8C02-A05312660B7C.jpeg

Just curious to know of anyone out there has ever used a big bore ML for small game hunting. After some limited research on this, I am not finding a whole heck of a lot on this subject. Found one old thread on here in the hunting section and I was hoping to find more answers in this sub form. So, if anyone can share your experiences on this please post up.
Is a "lager bore" the same as a beer barrel?

I once shot a squirrel that had pestered me all afternoon while sitting for a chance at a deer. The load was full power PRB deer load in a .54 ,85gr. FFg . . Since we were at camp , I figured the squirrel to be a good start on supper , and shot for his head. The shot was good , and the squirrels head was completely MIA , along with the critter's left front paw and forearm. Why I mention this experience, is to witness to you how perfectly clean the tissue and bone was vaporized . I vowed to never shoot another squirrel , with a deer load. I hate to waste wild game meat , and so I built myself a .40 cal. , that I load down to the point there is no vaporization level , tissue destruction.. Lesson learned , by me. ........oldwood

Rabbits were thick 20 years ago. Me and my buddy went huntin wabbit and I took my New Englander 54 cal with 90gr under round ball. Who says round balls don't do much damage? Poor wabbits blew up even with head shots! Too much powder me thinks!🤔

Back in the 70s my brother and I had a couple of Texas made 58 caliber Mowrey Texas Carbines that we would roam the ranch with shooting very light loads. Lots of rabbits, armadillos and other vermin were targets. Sold them and often wished I had held on to mine.

I had a .50 that was my do-everything rifle for a number of years. Shoot a squirrel or rabbit in the head and the job is done regardless of caliber. As a matter of fact it even worked on a frog. I spotted a large green bullfrog on the opposite bank of a small stock tank and let fly. There was an eruption of mud and when I made my way around to see there were the back legs, one front leg, and assorted bits. I took the back legs and figured I done good as frog legs are the best eating.
John

I use my 54 all the time for squirrels. 35 3f and I’m good to 50 yds.
View attachment 203300View attachment 203301
That sir, is exactly the information I am after. Even the set up looks like what I'm out to do with my 54 GPR. Still have to make a wedge for the TC peep I have. What kind of front globe sight is on your .54? I haven't looked into a globe front sight for mine as of yet, but its on my To-Do list.

35 grains of 3F is fairly economical.

Last edited:
I had a .50 that was my do-everything rifle for a number of years. Shoot a squirrel or rabbit in the head and the job is done regardless of caliber. As a matter of fact it even worked on a frog. I spotted a large green bullfrog on the opposite bank of a small stock tank and let fly. There was an eruption of mud and when I made my way around to see there were the back legs, one front leg, and assorted bits. I took the back legs and figured I done good as frog legs are the best eating.
John
Use to frog hunt at night with a very small caliber unmentionable. Killed a fair number of frogs that never had a scratch on them. Just from the concussion of the bullet impact in the water/mud close to those few was enough. But that didn't always happen.

Latest posts

Back