• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

anyone do brain tanning?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

just mark

36 Cal.
Reaction score
i am very interested in learning to braintan buckskin and wondered if anyone here has any experience, either good or bad with it.

also want to learn about bark tanning.

Very cool, NJ. i have watched a bunch of utube videos on tanning, but somehow never saw this one. what i see here looks real good! i have watched a series from a guy who calls himself "derelect epistle" that seems good.

so if you braintanned some hides, how many "brainnings" did you put them through? and did the smoking process go well? i was warned by another tanner that it's easy to ruin a hide in smoking, if you don't "cool" the smoke before it hits the hide.

I brain tan many many hides each year. Smoking is done with a small fire and BIG SMOKE, meaning that the fire is small and smudgy, very little heat, heat will ruin the hides and burn them just as it does your own skin. Anything over 120 degrees will start the hide on the down hill slide to the dump real fast. If your hand gets burned by the fire its way to hot for the hides. The best way I have to do them is using an old wood stove with the fire smudging at the door end and the hides, at least two at a time so they are the same color sewin together in a pillow case fashion, over the smoke hole. Never walk away from the set up for any length of time at all. All you need is one flare up to wipe out your hard work.
I brain once, wring out and then brain again. The most important step is wrining do it wrong and you;ll know it right away.

i have not done any since the mid '90's but it is not a hard task to learn just labor extensive and there arfe some shortcuts there, a god book/books/videos or a mentor will be of great help definately nothing to be fearfull of so to speak, the end product will make the effort seem very much worthwhile.There are many "methods' and all the ons I tried seemd to work as well as another I liked the dry scrape method, and a windlass to wring the hide and a large wooden frame 8'x8'to secure hides while working on them with hog wrings to secure to the frame for quick adjustments, rotted/punky Cedar was my favorite wood for the color I liked as well as the odor, go for it,as it will not take long to see if it is something you are going to be comfortable with, just get the proper tools/directions some parts of the directions of the methods can be mixed with one another, but carfuly study all the material you aquire, as some smallish errors or lack of understanding of the terminology can cause the whole thing to go south, enjoy the journey and the fruits of your labor

Back