• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anyone alter their shooting because of shortages?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have shot HUNDREDS of balls without a misfire; and I NEVER snap caps.

When I finish cleaning my rifles and pistols, I KNOW they are going to fire. I don't fire any caps as insurance. I just use only as much oil and solvent as I need, and nothing more, and make liberal use of pipe cleaners through my flash channel.

*I have also never had a use for a nipple pick. On my rifles with #11's, some days I fire 40 shots before I do anything other than wiping external fouling off of the nipple tube so that caps continue to seat metal-on-metal (that one definitely seems to cause a misfire on my revolvers if I don't do it).

I Also, always take the time to seat caps firmly with a dowel or ball starter.

Again, I have shot hundreds of balls. A thorough cleaning and not using excess solvents and oils is all it takes. You don't have to snap your caps.

Not shooting right now because of Covid and the restrictions the local county range has in place. I have plenty of caps and during all the down time have learned to make my own black powder.

Now, if you can direct me to a flintlock revolver I would be surely interested!

:thumb:
They are out there. Better get your cash ready.
1612401902428.jpeg

I can understand everyone's desire to shoot. I am one of those folks. The fact is these are not normal times, and that must be taken into consideration. I am saving all of my caps, powder, and balls for a better day, and I am afraid that is a long way off. I will have to content myself with knowing that at least one more stimulus check is coming, watching the auctions and the various dealers for what is being offered, and fondling my prized possessions and dreaming on. If you have extra C&B revolvers that you are not fond of, now is the time to sell them and make some money. If you have revolvers that are near and dear to your heart, keep them because you may never be able to replace them. Who knows what Pietta, Uberti, et al, will be offering in a year from now (yes, a year!)

Think long term, folks.

Regards,

Jim
I’m not shooting as much but it has more to do with my work schedule than the shortages but you’re not wrong in your assessment. Sadly.

No, not at all. I didn'r run short of toilet paper either. When I buy toilet paper I don't buy just one roll.

Yeah. I started using black powder. I managed to find everything I need/want too. I'm fortunate that way.
Dove right in with flintlocks and haven't had this much fun shooting in ages. So much new to learn!

wm

Not shooting now , but not because of shortages. Have all kinds of supplies , flints , caps , balls and powder. So
no shortage here, well there is one ,lack of sunshine. There is just too much ice and snow on the ground and more
on the way. Found out today that the starter went out of my pickup called the garage to come and get. For the same
reason too much snow , would take too long to heat the shop up besides its easier to sit inside with a good book
and a cup of Irish coffee or two.
gunnyr

I stopped using a cap on a new clean this last year, with all the cleaning aids I have at home, (compressed air, brake clean, solvent, hot water, carb cleaner) I concluded it was a hang-up from yesteryear, and so far no misfirers. Of course my paper targets aren't in danger of getting away if I do have a misfirer.
Squint

I belong to a private shooting club, located on private property. Gov entities have no say about what goes on there. The county that I live in is a 2A sanctuary and has no restrictions whatsoever besides.

I've done my own metallic cartridge reloading going on nearly 30 years. No ammo shortage in this household. That said, I have stopped doing 300 round plinking days. I only use what I need to keep my skills sharp or develop loads.

I'm new to BP and am in the process of learning and adding BP ways and means to the larger process. Will be asking lots of questions.

IMG_0367.jpeg

Load development
IMG_0401.jpeg

Having experienced the major shortages that occurred during the Obama reign, I prepared for the possibility of a return to the Dark Ages months ago, so I’m pretty well stocked. If it weren’t for shooting/hunting I’d be climbing the walls!

Not really. I switched to flint so a shortage of caps won't affect me. However, my wife shoots a Cap-lock but hasn't been going to the Shooting Matches lately. Funny thing is, I purchased 900 caps from Sportsman's Warehouse a few years back (I wanted a 1000 but they only had 9 packs). I mis-placed them when I moved here 4 1/2 years ago. Finally found them last year! 😁

I stopped using a cap on a new clean this last year, with all the cleaning aids I have at home, (compressed air, brake clean, solvent, hot water, carb cleaner) I concluded it was a hang-up from yesteryear, and so far no misfirers. Of course my paper targets aren't in danger of getting away if I do have a misfirer.
Squint
I'm now on board with eliminating the "snap cap"; too expensive! Glad I was clued into this on this excellent site.

Latest posts

Back