• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Does anyone even do this anymore?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
You know how they always say to put a cap on the nipple with an unloaded chamber and fire the cap off first to make sure that the ignition channel is clear?

With as precious as caps are here lately.... I take the cylinder out and as long as I can see daylight through the nipples, it's pretty much good to go unless I've got some oil in the cylinder that I need to get out of there first.

I know I'm sure not going to waste six caps every time I want to go bang

You know how they always say to put a cap on the nipple with an unloaded chamber and fire the cap off first to make sure that the ignition channel is clear?
I don't shoot cap, so pardon the ignorance... what exactly would happen if the channel wasn't clear? A flash in the pan on a fuse/wheel/flintlock is usually an indicator of a plugged touch-hole, not proof that it's clear! Seems totally inside out...:rolleyes:

I don't shoot cap, so pardon the ignorance... what exactly would happen if the channel wasn't clear? A flash in the pan on a fuse/wheel/flintlock is usually an indicator of a plugged touch-hole, not proof that it's clear! Seems totally inside out...:rolleyes:
The cap explosion clears the hole in the nipple since it is in an enclosed space.

In The Texas Army, at weapons inspection, a cap is fired with the muzzle down by a leaf or grass on the ground. If the item moves when the cap is fired, you're getting pressure through the nipple and down the barrel, so you're good to go. :thumb:
Since I only use my cap rifle for our reenactments, I don't know what the flinters do... :dunno:

I do it occasionally but never prior to loading for a hunt. During big game season it may be loaded for a few weeks. I clear it by sloshing some alcohol up and down then run a patch to blow alcohol through the nipple. Usually do that at least a couple hours before loading.

I don't store them with enough oil protectant to be a problem.

I always snap a cap until I see evidence of the blast exiting the barrel, usually a leaf or something. However, I got a lot of caps that I have spent 40+ years accumulating. When I needed a tin, I bought 3 or 4 for about $2 a pop. Glad I made that decision!

Pardon the ignorance on my lack of flintlock experience....

But if you can see daylight through the nipples they're obviously not clogged

Latest posts

Back