• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Field/Farm Use of Cap & Ball Revolver

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nothing spec about my 1911. the stock GI model is pretty klunky and not as reliable as a worked unit. that little nubin of a guide rod is really interesting... mine is now a solid screw together unit with a rubber shock absorber in it. enlarged ports etc, etc.. almost none of the 1911s you see on the shelf are basic GI models.

Mine is an older Combat Commander in 45ACP. Runs like a Swiss watch. Gorgeous blueing like you do not see anymore. Maybe a previous owner tuned it. I can not find anything functional that wants improvement.

Well things changed over the last 11 years....

When I first posted on this thread, I did pack a .44 around the property when I am alone.

Then I switched to a Police .36, Sherriff model because it is snazzy.

Now....it is a .31 Remington Pocket pistol.

As I get older I found the .44 too heavy, then the .36 got heavy.
The Remington pocket .31 is as low as it goes. I could get a smaller derringer but I am not sacrificing multi-shot potential for a marginally lighter pistol.

The other half is out of town and has been a few days and will be a bit longer so I have been packing heat every day. The Remington is small, just a tad larger than my 12mm Derringer. It carries real easy compared to the .36 and the .44 so that is nice.
I am under no illusions about the power this .31 has. More of a 'take that to the nurse' firearm that might buy me time to go get a much bigger gun. Probably the .44 and my .54 blunderbuss. Both are ready to rock and roll. I suspect that blunderbuss might put the fear of god in a man. That bell muzzle is pretty intimidating.

I like the modern ones with that spinner thing in the middle.
They shoot six times.

41 Caliber 1858.JPG

Cynthia, I have a sherrif model same frame as the .31 but is ,36. MUCH more power. Soon as its done getting goonerized (weeks late now) I will get ya range report. Before the trip to the goon DR it was accurate but not hitting caps well. I love it soooo much I paid Mikie (upfront) to goonerize it. You may wanna consder a trade? Love my 1849 too though and it may be next to get goonerized once i see how the .36 sherrif is. Mike?

Cynthia, I have a sherrif model same frame as the .31 but is ,36. MUCH more power. Soon as its done getting goonerized (weeks late now) I will get ya range report. Before the trip to the goon DR it was accurate but not hitting caps well. I love it soooo much I paid Mikie (upfront) to goonerize it. You may wanna consder a trade? Love my 1849 too though and it may be next to get goonerized once i see how the .36 sherrif is. Mike?
Should be heading your way next week azmntman. Thanks!

Mike

yes
when I feel the need to have a firearm while working around the garden and chicken coop I will strap on my 1851 .44 revolver

mainly it will be when I have a coyote sniffing around, or the other half is out of town and someone is being suspicious in the neighborhood
I am very particular about my loading ritual (for lack of a better term).

If I fire a chamber, I just blast off the remaining rounds on a target. I am a little hesitant to do a partial clean of things. Need my pistol to be clean, well loaded and well oiled.

I load all 6 as the little in between pins do their job.

Now my .36 Sheriff doesn't have the pins, so I only load 5
I am in the partial clean camp. Lots of experience with this.

I like to carry my Remington 1863 New Model Pocket.31 caliber 5 shot percussion revolver. Just big enough to whack a raccoon or rat in the barn and with 5 chances, enough to discourage any fox or coyote that we come up against while fishing in the bottom pasture creek. I load all 5 and keep the hammer in one of the safety notches Remington machines into their cylinders . It's a handy little handgun.

Attachments

• IMG_20230714_110216_01.jpg
    IMG_20230714_110216_01.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
been keeping the Pietta 1858 loaded all summer with T7 and round ball. lube over ball. . I shoot it clean about once a week. only an occasional hang fire. Mostly pretty reliable. I keep it capped on a safety notch. My single shot .50cal percussion is guaranteed to either hang fire or misfire if left loaded and un capped for over 24hrs in this humidity. its about 80% here these days.

There are 10 pages in this thread. I didn't read them all and may have missed something.

I have read that Bill Hickcock would fire his revolvers at a target every morning, clean and reload for the day.

This probably accomplished a few things. It kept his caps and charges fresh. It kept him in tune as well. I have read he was actually a pretty good shot.

Interesting side note about reliability of caps. I accidentally ran one of my cappers through the washer and drier. about half the caps had no propellant left in them. The caps that did still have propellant all went bang.

Back